Crossplane triple is now a reality

Maybe this will put an end to the FZ1 :(

Seems like it could be a fun bike, but being a "naked" model probably wont sell well here in the US

FZ1 will stay - a redesign likely. Otherwise Yamaha won't have anything to compete in the naked literbike segment. N1K and Speed Triple are going strong. Yamaha will have to cash in like it has for the last 13 years with the FZ1

The triple is the new base engine which means we'll eventually get a liter version to replace the very long in the tooth FZ1. We'll see naked and half faired bikes coming down the pike, just have to give it a couple of years. The current FZ1 will limp along until the 2015 or 2016 model years. The current FZ1 really can't compete with the competition, it has to be completely replaced and not just tweaked.

Last edited:
I absolutely love my naked 2009 Fz1. I get compliments all the time from riders of other bikes, even HD's and non-riders as well.

I think there is a market, and people just need to wrap their heads around it. I actually prefer the naked over the short tenure I had with the half-faring on my Fz6 and Fz1 before I converted. The only time I have an issue is when going speeds that are double the posted speed limit. Anything short of that and it's not an issue.

This MT-09 looks a little bit like a cross between a Fz8 and Ducati Monster. Not sure if I really like it just yet.

Was at the Yamaha dealer show in las vegas this past week and they said that the fz-09 isn't replacing the fz-8 as of now and there are 8 new models releasing this year with the fz-09. The other new models releasing from Yamaha are being presented to the dealerships in august or september.

Was at the Yamaha dealer show in las vegas this past week and they said that the fz-09 isn't replacing the fz-8 as of now and there are 8 new models releasing this year with the fz-09. The other new models releasing from Yamaha are being presented to the dealerships in august or september.

Cycle World mag says the FZ8 will be dropped next year. Makes sense, the FZ8 won't be able to compete with the new FZ. The FZ8 hasn't been exactly sailing off the showroom floor, it was really a stopgap bike until the new triple would hit the market.

It's called the MT-09

Oh! I missed that. Thanks for correcting me.

That's a stupid name. Has there even been an FZ-series bike that wasn't a four cylinder?

We got the MT-01 in North America, why not continue that line?

Last edited:
Oh! I missed that. Thanks for correcting me.

That's a stupid name. Has there even been an FZ-series bike that wasn't a four cylinder?

We got the MT-01 in North America, why not continue that line?

FZ was first used by Yamaha in '85 if I remember correctly on the FZ750. There was also the FZ600 a year later. In 87 when they got a little more serious about 4-cyl sport bikes they came out with the FZR monicker (first used on the FZR1000) .

Last edited:
Yes, I own a classic FZ600 and I had an FZR400. Oh, and an FZ1! :)

My point was that the FZ line has existed for almost thirty years as high performance inline fours. Yamaha hasn't sold a triple for thirty five years or something and they decide it's going to be an FZ in North America?

They might as well have just named it the 2013 YZFZR09RR-Max.

Last edited:
I suspect this 850 may be followed by a 1000-1100cc version within the first year. Has a pretty short stroke for a triple and I just cant help but think Yamaha is planning more then just the 850cc version.

When I saw that peak torque was 8000rpm I was surprised it was so high , looked at the engine specs and started thinking they are going to have a longer stroke version of this motor over 1000cc soon.

That also explains the low price ! They can't ask too much for the 850cc bike if they are following it with a 1050-1100cc .

Just a gut feeling but I'm really thinking the surprise game changer is still to come when Yamaha releases the longer stroke engine

You heard it here first ( hope I'm right )

79mm X 71.4mm Speed Triple bore stroke 1050cc

78mm X 59.1mm Yamaha MT09 / FZ09 bore stroke 850cc

Back