Crated Hon NR750/ RC30

I don't buy the 'posterity' story. I wonder how those bikes came to being 'lost' and set aside for 20 years. Too strange, but cool.

Those bikes are an example of the kind of inovation Honda got it's present day position in the industry from. It's still going strong, but moreso on the street vs the track. Their work on automatic transmissions may be the begining of the end of the manual foot shifter. Imagine being able to run the same times either in the twisties or on the track without having to do the normal hand/foot combination? I do believe Honda, with their new auto trans, are very close.

Those bikes are an example of the kind of inovation Honda got it's present day position in the industry from. It's still going strong, but moreso on the street vs the track. Their work on automatic transmissions may be the begining of the end of the manual foot shifter. Imagine being able to run the same times either in the twisties or on the track without having to do the normal hand/foot combination? I do believe Honda, with their new auto trans, are very close.
The FJR 1300AE (electric shift 5 speed) was not a big hit, I think Yamaha has discontinued the model at least for 2010.

The FJR 1300AE (electric shift 5 speed) was not a big hit, I think Yamaha has discontinued the model at least for 2010.

I do believe you're correct. Motorcycle riders are not like automobile drivers in that respect. While an automatic trans may have some applications in the motorcycle world I think the majority of riders prefer a true manual transmission.

That reminds me of the two Corvettes I've owned over the years. I bought both of them ('94 and '02) used and hard a hard time finding a manual ones. Most that are sold are automatic. I just never understood it....

You guys probably do this, and I'm not exactly sure how 'automatic' works on a bike, but I never use the clutch in the twists, or anywhere else, unless I have to completely stop or something unusual is happening, (like a freakin steep downhill mega tight mountain twistie).

So, am I doing the automatic thingie? I'm up/down shifting without clutch. Works smoothly.

Being a BIG Honda V4 fan seeing this video just made my day when it was posed on the VFR site. As to the NEW V4... There are STRONG feelings in reguard to the "new" VFR1200f within the v4 nuts. Some think it's a marvel of modern tech & the true next step in street motorcycles. Others see it as a bitchslap to the VFR's HRC RC- series heritadge & Honda's not so vailed way of telling the VFR/V4 fan to "grow up and slow down, you did'nt really think you were gonna get the RC212 in a street bike did you?" :teeter:

Last edited:
Blast to the PAST

I remember reading an article when they came out, in I believe, Cycle World magazine. The NR was the baddest, trickest etc. I had imagined that getting 'rings' for it would be almost non-existant. Now it seems such an 'old' sportbike/racer, and sort of frumpy styling. I believe the RC51 was the next step to have advantage (Vtwin verses inline 4 rules in AMA. Still, what a find to be sure......imagine, theyv'e been sitting in crates all this time, :(

For me the RC30 is much more desirable than the NR750, probably for it's racing heritage, but I guess you have to be an old fart to appreciate this in the first place. I took the pics from a Swedish discussion forum, the younger dudes there don't understand the hype, they think the latest R1 is cool but that these are just "old bikes"...

Back