Crashproof Bike Safety System

D'oh!

It's funny... I saw that coming. The best piece of safety equipment is inside the riders helmet, but only if he/she uses it. The only thing that I am not sure of is is was this video an actual screw up, or a set up to illustrate the folly of relying on technology to do our thinking for us.

Wow!!! I guess even a computer can't save you in that situation. However, had he bothered to look the other way before pulling out it wouldn't have happened.

That really hurt watching that. I had no sound on so I'm not sure if it was staged or not. If it wasn't, shame on the rider for not even turning his head as he pulled out. It looked pretty real to me.

If it was something staged then they did a real good job with it. Even having broken parts flying...

Questions:
No bike parts on the road?
No skid marks from the truck of the bike being dragged?
Where's the bike after the accident?
Why didn't the driver get out of the truck at all?
It's supposed to be a HUD and he didn't put the visor down?

If it is real.... Not even a head check. He's only himself to blame.

Last edited:
If it was something staged then they did a real good job with it. Even having broken parts flying...

Questions:
No bike parts on the road?

Yea, you can see that something breaks and goes flying onto the road. Could be the truck's headlight.

No skid marks from the truck of the bike being dragged?

You can see when the truck locks up its tires. I do find it strange that the bike is nowhere to be found, but it could be off the road on the opposite side of the truck.

Where's the bike after the accident?

See above...

Why didn't the driver get out of the truck at all?

He could be in shock as to what just happened. It's possible that he eventually came out. Video ends...

It's supposed to be a HUD and he didn't put the visor down?

Very true, which makes the whole thing a little suspect.

If it is real.... Not even a head check. He's only himself to blame.

When I stop/start the video along the way there seems to be missing frames as you don't actually see the impact...weird.

See my answers above. I do hope he wasn't seriously hurt.

After all that long talk about how safe the system was and it was obvious they were going to do a demonstration the question that begs to be asked is why they didn't block the road? Or at the very least have someone off camera cue the biker when it was safe to do the demonstration since the reporter lady was not watching the road when she told him to take off.

Now that I think about it, the demonstration was supposed to be down the darned road so he should have used the old fashioned method before he pulled out. I hope the guy was all right, he didn't look to be moving at all afterwards.

That's kind of wild...
A few things I noticed (not necessarily 'wrong', just noticed):
- The silver demonstration car disappeared from the spot where it was waiting.
- After the crash there is a piece of black something a bit off the shoulder (on the far side of the road).
- The cameraman does not seem to be leading the camera where the biker was supposed to be going.
- The reporter should have seen the truck coming based on her position.
- The puddle under the truck is an interesting addition.

... And...
- Trolling google turned up this video on a few other forums, but not any news sites, or companies related to the product or company described in the video.

The topic/video makes a good point though. I especially like:
The best piece of safety equipment is inside the riders helmet, but only if he/she uses it.

Back