crankcase trouble maybe !

Well I went to the bike shop and had a listen to the bike and it still sounds rough the mechanic siad he has checked the fly wheel ? to see if any teeth were missing and he could'nt find none.But there is still a noise coming from the area of the generator.the guy is gonna look again to see if he can see any more shards of the plastic about somewhere,before he hands the bike over to me and test it too mechanicaly.

Well I went to the bike shop and had a listen to the bike and it still sounds rough the mechanic siad he has checked the fly wheel ? to see if any teeth were missing and he could'nt find none.But there is still a noise coming from the area of the generator.the guy is gonna look again to see if he can see any more shards of the plastic about somewhere,before he hands the bike over to me and test it too mechanicaly.

So they replaced the parts that they said were defective and it's still making the same noise?

yep they asked me how long the noise has been their for and they think its not mechanical ie: pistons,valves etc I asked how they know if one isnt working but they just laughed and said you'd know if one wasnt right.so as to what the noise is I and they dont know but it is in the same area that they replaced the parts.I saw all the packaging so I said unless the crankshaft is bent or the shaft on the generator is bent who knows but they changed the shaft for the generator as that was part of the 6 parts they replaced

It would be good if yamaha could of said you know what we will have it back and do the strip down for the dealer as they must have a garage at their head Quarters in england.fat chance of that

yep they asked me how long the noise has been their for and they think its not mechanical ie: pistons,valves etc I asked how they know if one isnt working but they just laughed and said you'd know if one wasnt right.so as to what the noise is I and they dont know but it is in the same area that they replaced the parts.I saw all the packaging so I said unless the crankshaft is bent or the shaft on the generator is bent who knows but they changed the shaft for the generator as that was part of the 6 parts they replaced

It would be good if yamaha could of said you know what we will have it back and do the strip down for the dealer as they must have a garage at their head Quarters in england.fat chance of that

Any follow up on this?
Is your bike still making noises?

Update !!

Well my woes continue with the fz1
The original place Where the bike was being fixed, well it was not what I expected some of which only came to light after I got a second opinion from where I got the bike from in the first place as the wife suggested.the story began when I put the bike in to get "fixed" at the local bike shop who has just come over to yamaha in the last year or so they put a new generator in and cleaned the sump out but when I recieved the bike back,the fairing was missing 2 6mm cap heads and two of the screws on the dash side panels were swapped or mixed up with the front tank fairing cap heads which Did not please me.But the noise was still there coming from the same area as the generator come engine area the shop said there was nothing they could do so off I went a week later for a second opinion.In 10 mins with the bike the mechanic guy came out and ask me to come in to the garage area Where he asked what had happened so i explained,he laughed and shook his head and asked If the generator bearings had been replaced to.

Which I said I had asked about the bearings but the first shop said they were ok,but he laughed again and stripped the generator out once I confirmed I had a ride back home and confirmed it was both bearings that had gone which is why the generator had gone in the first place.The outter bearing was notchy but the inner which has a rubber seal (maybe) was worse the shaft was like 5mm play !!
the new rotor was marked a little which told me it would of blew up again through neglegence of the other shop given time I was seething to say the least I confirmed the bearings had not been replaced when I got home and read back the list of parts on the reciept I think the guy felt sorry for me as he says he will speak to his manager about this so maybe it may be either free or a small charge or yamaha will be involved as he suggested yamaha should of paid up but the other shop obviously had to fight my case which I felt they did not.If I get a bill I will take it back to the original garage and ask for the money back since they could not fix the back properly.I also told the young guy mechanic that I had asked the other shop why it happened why the generator blew but they said who knows but the mechanic told me if a bike comes to us with a problem it does not leave without us telling the customer why it happened and the cause as that is their job.So scrub the other post I wrote about the local garage being good as they were crapbut I only found out after a second opinion at a decent garage,I even asked how come the other mechanic could not pick up a very basic error but he just smiled and said there are mechanics and there are mechanics.So all being well he said I should get a phone call to say on monday all is well but obviously he wont know 100% until he puts the bearings in but he is 80-90% sure the noise was down to the bearings being knackered.

Last edited:
Glad to hear you finally got it figured out. Seems to me the mechanic at the first garage you took the motorcycle to has a lot to learn. He may have replaced the alternator as it was obviously bad, but he didn't bother to troubleshoot the cause of the failure. One of many "remove and replace" type mechanics :disapproval:

Point is the first mechanic has being doing it for 30 years there abouts for honda.that failure in replacing the bearings was inexcusable since I asked him 3 times If they were ok.

Point is the first mechanic has being doing it for 30 years there abouts for honda.that failure in replacing the bearings was inexcusable since I asked him 3 times If they were ok.

Well in that case then it's inexcusable and you have a good case for getting your money back (at least for the labor).

What is really weird is that if the bike was still making noises then why didn't they pull it apart straight away before handing it back to you?

Maybe the apprentice did your one?

I mean really, which decent mechanic is not going to check the bearings, especially after so much damage has occurred?

The sad thing is ballmead he did go back in because of the noise but said i checked but nothing untoward ....retirement me thinks the sad thing is I aint pulling ya leg its all true.

Back