Could have been worse.....

whatevva

Ok, so I'm cruising down a side road doing about 45, when I hear the most God awful sound, and realize it's coming from MY bike!! Twist the throttle and it just gets louder, but I no longer have any drive. Shifting doesn't matter, it's all neutral. Nothing to do but call for a pickup truck and worry. Next day I pull the cover in front of the counter sprocket, and the holding nut is laying on the bottom and the sprocket is completely off the spline! Spline and sprocket seem mostly undamaged and only took a few seconds to pop it back on. I don't have a socket big enough for that nut (as I'm sure the previous owner didn't as well..and that's why it came loose). Can anyone tell me what size that nut is and the proper torque so I can go get a socket and tighten it properly? Bike's a 2001. TIA

I would just take the sprocket nut with you to sears/ HD/Lowes when you go to get the socket. Size it up while you are there. Glad the chain didn't lock up on you. A little blue Loctite wouldn't hurt

Man, like Johnny said, you sure are lucky that bad boy didn't lock up for sure! That could have been bad. Thankfully your okay and it's just a minor issue. Those front sprockets have the nut and also a locking washer that gets bent down over the side of the sprocket to keep it from loosening. I'll have to look through my book to see what size wrench I used when I changed mine which is also an 01'.

When you Torque it down DO NOT put it in gear and pull against the transmission, leave it in neutral have someone hold the rear brake and torque it against the chain and rear brake. You can damage the transmission if you try to do it with it in gear.

It's great that something that could have been very costly, was able to get fixed with a few bucks and some elbow grease. Your sure that all your chain links are in order and not gnawed or anything like that? You just want to be extra safe when it comes to that chain.

Back