Cost of tires

So, I get the new Motorcyclist today and they have an article by Metzler for their new Interact tires. They are available in street, sport or track trim.

What pisses me off is the street tire are $417 a set, Sport - $464 and Track - $617. So -- when is this crap gonna stop. When are we, as riders, finally gonna stick our head out the window and say "WE AREN'T GONNA TAKE THIS SHIT ANYMORE"

The costs of these tires is simply ridiculous. I can get 4 of the best tires made for my Van installed for that kind of money. Then consider that we will get a maximum of 1500 miles out of the tire and it just becomes silly.

We need a way to speak out against this injustice and be heard. I think I'll start sending e-mails to all the companies and tell them to stick it.

Holy smokes were are you buying your tires. I paid 200.00 for a set of Q2's (keep a eye on cycle gear the have blow out sale all the time). Today I had a set of BT-016 installed for less than 300.00 (cycle gear)

Holy smokes were are you buying your tires. I paid 200.00 for a set of Q2's (keep a eye on cycle gear the have blow out sale all the time). Today I had a set of BT-016 installed for less than 300.00 (cycle gear)

I know you can buy them cheaper but this is what they advertise their retail price to be. I think that takes balls.

I know you can buy them cheaper but this is what they advertise their retail price to be. I think that takes balls.

Retail price doesn't matter, the street price matters. If you don't like the new technology drop back and use an older version. The market for bike tires is tiny compared to the car market so I expect to pay more. It's a competitive market so if Dunlop or Bridgestone can do it cheper they will. Riding a bike is not cheap and tires are a component where I want the best technology and I'll pay for it. 1500 miles per set, wow, what are you doing, burnouts from stoplight to stoplight?

Last edited:
Retail price doesn't matter, the street price matters. If you don't like the new technology drop back and use an older version. The market for bike tires is tiny compared to the car market so I expect to pay more. It's a competitive market so if Dunlop or Bridgestone can do it cheper they will. Riding a bike is not cheap and tires are a component where I want the best technology and I'll pay for it. 1500 miles per set, wow, what are you doing, burnouts from stoplight to stoplight?

Surprisingly enough, I put those Avon Storms on last year and the rear only lasted 1200 miles. I ride fairly aggressive from time to time but that was rediculous. I replaced the rear Avon with a Michelin Pilot Road 2 this spring. 2000 miles on it so far, pretty happy with it. Feels WAY more planted through the corners too.

Jake Wilson has the front for our bike at $129.99, and the rear at $190.99. $320.98 shipped to your door. Sounds like a fair price for a quality sport-touring tire.

I have been running Storms for 5 years now and have never gotten less than 4k out of a rear and I ride fairly aggresively My current Storm ultra 2 has 4500k miles and I look to get another 1000 out of it

Maybe I'm floating on my bike but I got 13000K on my stockers and I just bought the PR2, hope to get the same or more out of them. For the record I don't do track days, but I like fast riding with average cornering, so maybe thats why.

I won't even think of buying a tire that only yields 1200 miles. That's just a month worth of riding for me. ha

Well, in CrazyJoe's defense, his riding style and the amount of tires he chews up in the course of a year, well, yes, it does get to be FAR too expensive.

I got over 12k out of the stock 221's and just put on a set of Shinko Ravens for $182 shipped which I'm quite happy with thus far (only two days). I'll tell you more when I hit the 3k and 5k marks though. ;)

So Crazyjoe... I guess my buying the Shinko set is, more or less, putting my head out the window and making my protest? The real question is though, how much tire did I get for the price... because if these don't last at least 8k on the ODO then I'd have been better off spending more to get the PR2 set.

I got just under 3000 out of my Q2's. From what I understand Joe and Krispy ride together sometime and if Joes anything like Krispy on those roads down there 1500 mi is a good run for them. I just put on the BT-016's. Krispy claimed 2000 mi so I figure the should be good for about 4000 with my riding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe I'm floating on my bike but I got 13000K on my stockers and I just bought the PR2, hope to get the same or more out of them. For the record I don't do track days, but I like fast riding with average cornering, so maybe thats why.

I won't even think of buying a tire that only yields 1200 miles. That's just a month worth of riding for me. ha

I'm with you. I got 8000 out of the stock rear and nearly 12,000 out of the stock front. I have PR2's on it now, very happy with over 8000 on the rear and lots of tread left. :)

6500 on stock pilot road on the front with very little wear showing and got about 6000 out of a pilot power that I had to put on after second day I had the bike cause of a nail that ruined the rear.

Amen brother! Power to the people :)

So, I get the new Motorcyclist today and they have an article by Metzler for their new Interact tires. They are available in street, sport or track trim.

What pisses me off is the street tire are $417 a set, Sport - $464 and Track - $617. So -- when is this crap gonna stop. When are we, as riders, finally gonna stick our head out the window and say "WE AREN'T GONNA TAKE THIS SHIT ANYMORE"

The costs of these tires is simply ridiculous. I can get 4 of the best tires made for my Van installed for that kind of money. Then consider that we will get a maximum of 1500 miles out of the tire and it just becomes silly.

We need a way to speak out against this injustice and be heard. I think I'll start sending e-mails to all the companies and tell them to stick it.

Surprisingly enough, I put those Avon Storms on last year and the rear only lasted 1200 miles. I ride fairly aggressive from time to time but that was rediculous. I replaced the rear Avon with a Michelin Pilot Road 2 this spring. 2000 miles on it so far, pretty happy with it. Feels WAY more planted through the corners too.

I've worn out a front CorsaIII in 700 miles.

Then you sir are putting some "serious" miles on them!

My miles are more laid back and relaxing with of course spirited stuff thrown in here and there.

I am going to go for the Pilot Power's next time. Not the 2CT's though. I had then on the Gen1 and liked them. Put 4K on those and had a lot of tread left, so I will try them on the Gen2 when these Q2's die.

Joe, what do you ride on, 60 grit sandpaper??? :nana:

On my Q2s I've got about 450 track day miles on them, and I think I have two track days, maybe three left on them.

Back