Copaslip

NAPA121

Guys,

On my Buell XB12Ss I owned before my FZ1 it was highly recommended to Copaslip the axle thread when you were replacing the wheel and re-torquing.

Is this the case for the FZ1-N as well?

Cheers
Neil

Guys,

On my Buell XB12Ss I owned before my FZ1 it was highly recommended to Copaslip the axle thread when you were replacing the wheel and re-torquing.

Is this the case for the FZ1-N as well?

Cheers
Neil

I have never used anti-seize compound on any of my axles. The manual states, "Unless otherwise specified, tightening torques require clean dry threads" It does show to use a Lithium based grease on the threads(which is what I do) and on the tab end before reassembly, so an anti-seize compound should be OK as well. I tend to keep my bike clean enough and don't run in salt air enviornments very often so I have never used anti-seize like "Copaslip" or as it is sold here "Copper cote" .

Last edited:
Sorry...Another question on it.

I took the rear wheel off and was just replacing it when the cap cover on the wheel bearings came off (the cap cover has a hole through it as the axle goes through it but when the cap is removed you can see the wheel bearings behind it in the wheel...I hope I am explaining this correctly).

Before replacing the cap into the wheel I wiped the rim clean as it had black grease on it but thinking about it maybe I should have left it lubricated.

Does anyone know what this is and if it should be lubricated or not?

Cheers
Neil

Sorry...Another question on it.

I took the rear wheel off and was just replacing it when the cap cover on the wheel bearings came off (the cap cover has a hole through it as the axle goes through it but when the cap is removed you can see the wheel bearings behind it in the wheel...I hope I am explaining this correctly).

Before replacing the cap into the wheel I wiped the rim clean as it had black grease on it but thinking about it maybe I should have left it lubricated.

Does anyone know what this is and if it should be lubricated or not?

Cheers
Neil

It is just a dust cover, and the black that you wiped away was just dirt and grease combined. As long as there was still plenty of grease in the bearings then you will be fine, don't worry. See attached scan; it does show to lubricate with lithium grease, but I wouldn't worry about it too much until your next service. The dust cap turns with the wheel and if you lubed the axle before sliding it through then the important surface of it has lube.

#4 = dust covers, slightly different design for each side.

Last edited:
if I apply copaslip to the rear axle thread should I ease off the torque settings when doing up the rear axle nut?

Someone told me that if I keep the same torque setting when doing up the axle nut after lubrication then I risk increasing the clamp rate and possibly causing some damage.

i was wondering what other peoples thoughts are on this?

Cheers
Neil

if I apply copaslip to the rear axle thread should I ease off the torque settings when doing up the rear axle nut?

Someone told me that if I keep the same torque setting when doing up the axle nut after lubrication then I risk increasing the clamp rate and possibly causing some damage.

i was wondering what other peoples thoughts are on this?

Cheers
Neil

Hey Neil, I'm not sure what "copaslip" is, but in all the times I've removed my rear axle nut, I have never applied any sort of oil or grease to it when reinstalling it. I would imagine that if you torqued a nut on a dry thread, it would be different as to installing on a thread with grease. I'd just leave it dry. I've never had an issue with the rear axle nut seizing on the axle shaft. It was probably torqued from the factory "dry" so I wouldn't change it. Just my two cents of course.

Hey Neil, I'm not sure what "copaslip" is, but in all the times I've removed my rear axle nut, I have never applied any sort of oil or grease to it when reinstalling it. I would imagine that if you torqued a nut on a dry thread, it would be different as to installing on a thread with grease. I'd just leave it dry. I've never had an issue with the rear axle nut seizing on the axle shaft. It was probably torqued from the factory "dry" so I wouldn't change it. Just my two cents of course.

Thx Buddy...nice to know someone else's view :tup:

Back