Coolant Fill - Help

WMU_BRONCO

1. Radiator and coolant reservoir were checked and both full.
2. Drained coolant and siphoned out reservoir measured at 2 quarts + 2 ½ cups total.
3. Filled radiator and reservoir with 2 quarts + 1 1/3 cups measured.

Could there be air bubbles in the system equivalent to 1 1/6 cups?

I rode the bike 5 miles after changing, let it cool, and checked the radiator and the reservoir and they still look full.

Anyone ever run into this situation? If so how long did it take to work the air out to get the rest of the coolant in?

Thanks,

I normally pull the thermostat after a drain and flush... fill the system... run it without a thermostat to fill everything all of the way back up for a little while... then re-install thermostat. (after cleaning it off, and boiling it to ensure proper operation)

Is the thermostat located in that housing on the upper right side of the cylinder head? Also, is there a thermostat gasket that needs replacing such as in a car once you remove it or does it use a rubber gasket lying recessed in the housing? Just curious.

here's the thermostat housing:

cb11.jpg

There's an o-ring in there... that can be re-used a few times... but every so often, it's a good idea to replace it.... considering how often you do a coolant flush... it's a good thing to check the thermostat... and a $3.00 O-Ring isn't a big deal....

here's the thermostat housing:

cb11.jpg

There's an o-ring in there... that can be re-used a few times... but every so often, it's a good idea to replace it.... considering how often you do a coolant flush... it's a good thing to check the thermostat... and a $3.00 O-Ring isn't a big deal....

Thanks Aaron. Now all of the sudden I'm getting an "x" where the photo is supposed to be. WTH!

Okay, I went to your original post and clicked on "quote". Then I copied and pasted the image link into my browser and got it to work. Thanks. I never thought of checking the thermostat when I did the A.I.S. removal. I should give it a check since I'm up over the 20k mark on the odometer. Thanks again Aaron!

Yamaha Factory Service Manual

I normally pull the thermostat after a drain and flush... fill the system... run it without a thermostat to fill everything all of the way back up for a little while... then re-install thermostat. (after cleaning it off, and boiling it to ensure proper operation)

Is there somewere (dealer, web, CD, etc) to purchase the actual 2008 FZ1 Service Manual a dealer would use? I downloaded the free "Owner's Manual" from the Web.

:rmwl:

Back