convince me please

picard

Hi All,
I may or may not become a newbie here depending on what I decide to do on Tuesday...

I'm in my mid 40s and have ridden all kinds of bikes over the last 30 years or so. Today I have been out shopping for a "sundays" fun bike as the touring with the wife will probably be reduced quite a bit over the next few years at least. Wow, "naked" sport bikes have come a long way (my last bike of that kind was a ZRX1100)

Long story short it comes down to a "new" zero miles '08 FZ-1 or a '04 Monster S4R with 6000 miles. Both to be had for about the same $$.

I rode both bikes twice for about 20 minutes each and came away very impressed with the FZ-1, sneaky fast, very elastic motor, smooth, but the handling wasn't perfect - tendency to fall into the corners a bit (just like my old FJ1200 used to do) and a little loose rear end on bumpy stuff.

The Monster of course with Ohlins all around was planted and nimble like, well, a bike with top-notch suspension. The engine is more brutal in response, less refined and therefore may feel a bit faster but I don't think it actually is. Coolness factor of course is 10:1 for the Duc.

The FZ-1 is the more 'resonable choice' but will I regret it?

Any input will be appreciated.

Yea, the FZ1 is lacking in the suspension dept, especially when you're comparing it to another bike that already has some nice Ohlins parts on there. Good thing is that there are plenty of aftermarket parts to make the FZ1 handle great, but of course you'll have to spend the extra money to get there. All that being said if you take the time to properly adjust the stock suspension for your weight and riding style it may not be so bad.

Only other thing that I would tell you to consider is maintenance in the long run. We both know the Ducati will be more expensive to maintain and the FZ1 is very reliable so...

If your heart is really set on the Ducati then go for it because no matter how good the FZ1 is you'll end up regretting not getting the bike you really wanted.

No one here dislikes the FZ1. For the money, the FZ6 and the FZ1 are hard to beat for upright sport bikes. But like Tony said, if the Ducati puts the big smile on your face, then go for it.

Now approaching 50k miles, all twisties, on 06 bought new in oct 07. This bike never falls into corners, and insists upon standing up unless you get the weight over there. NEVER loses the rear unless intentionally spinning. (It will fall into a TIGHT twist on STEEP downhills, but I like that. Reason: I only have the throttle cracked or chopped, as I can't roll on safely.)

I do like the monster. But I'd go with the FZ mainly because I'm so use to Nippon bikes, especially Yams.

It is possible that proper suspension setup would fix what I experienced. From what I have read here the fork adjustments especially seem to be quite sensitive. IIRC the preload was set with about 6 rings visible, no clue about rebound and compression. The rear shock was set quite soft but still seemed harsh and had trouble keeping the rear tire contact.
Note that this is back to back with a top-notch suspended bike. I'm sure one would get used to it also once one forgets how good it could be. The riding skill will always be the primary factor but I like to think I'm pretty experienced.

I don't know how you could really 'regret' either purchase... I would buy the one that I LIKED more, comfort, fun, style, whatever. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that the Ducati is more expensive to fix/maintain, but I would check that with a mechanic - maybe it's no difference?

maybe look up reviews by MotorCyclist magazine? but in the end, you're not writing a column, your out to have some fun. The Ducati is definitely more unique, and Italian, and does have a lot of coolness! But the FZ is still a helluva looker too!

Need to borrow a coin to flip?

My front is fairly stiff and running hyperpro shock, but the stock shock was good, if I recall. Did notice better bump handling with the hyper. I think the hyper soaked up more bumps. But I can't exactly remember the stock/hyper comparison as I've had the hyper at least 25k miles.

I'm thinking now that both the front and shock on your bike are set too soft, but I'm not a suspension expert. My bike is set up on the stiff side, which works for me. FZ does take a lotta after market stuff to get it where it should be. Probably not true with the monster.

You would like either bike, I'm sure.

A lot will depend on what kind of riding you plan to do. The FZ1 has sport touring setup and is good for long sustained rides. Since it has a detuned R1 engine the throttle response is not going to be abrupt. You can also do a lot of two up riding if you may be interested in doing.
I have ridden the 09 Ducati Monster 1100, and I admit it sounds really nice. The power delivery is, however, harsh. It’s very torquey at low revs. It definitely has great suspension and real powerful brakes but if intend on doing lot of road riding you want the bike to be a little forgiving at times. You will get that from the FZ1.
As far as ride feeling is concerned, all it would take is get the suspensions setup for your height and weight and the FZ1 will perform great. You are also getting Yamaha reality and easy parts availability.

If you have bling as top priority on your list, the Duc is the winner in most people's minds. But, if you really want a top notch performer that needs minimum maintenance and will get the job done without any problems, the FZ1 just plain kicks the Duc's behind. You didn't mention if you are a wrencher or go to the dealer for maintenance and you said you're a weekender so you probably don't put on all that many miles but the maintenance on the Duc is far more frequent and involved than the FZ1 if that's a consideration at all.

If you have bling as top priority on your list, the Duc is the winner in most people's minds. But, if you really want a top notch performer that needs minimum maintenance and will get the job done without any problems, the FZ1 just plain kicks the Duc's behind. You didn't mention if you are a wrencher or go to the dealer for maintenance and you said you're a weekender so you probably don't put on all that many miles but the maintenance on the Duc is far more frequent and involved than the FZ1 if that's a consideration at all.

+1 do you have a Duc dealer near you?

FZ1 is not a long distance tour bike, but a super bike, nothing less. If you want long distance, FZ1 is NOT the bike. I'm constantly surprised how the FZ is confused with the FJR or concourse (the kawi). No comparison.

I guess you can 'tour' with any racer, but you'll pay. Same with the FZ1. No way this bike will do constant 700 miles days. Not built for touring.

The FZ1 is a more comfortable ride than a sport bike. Due to the seating position the FZ has to offer, you can ride for longer duration of time. When I rode the Duc Monster, even though you are sitting up right, you feel you are over the handle bar. If you are a tall rider it has more agressive a position. With the snappy brakes that the Duc has you tend to get pushed against the tank quite often.

Thanks so far for all your replies / suggestions. I have a bike for touring (V-Strom) - this one will be for shorter trips around the state (400 miles max and probably 98+% one day only). I would not tour on the Duc but I could see that the FZ1 could be more of a touring-capable sport bike.

I noticed that the bars on the Duc are a tad lower than the FZ1 bars and the riding position more forward but not by that much. I'm 6'2" with a 34 inseam and the seat/peg relationship was a little less cramped on the FZ1.

I am lucky to have a good independent Duc shop in town (many people come here from all over to have this guy do work on their Ducatis) and one Yamaha dealer so that one is a toss-up.

I do a lot of my own wrenching (most of the routine maintenance) but I would probably not touch the valve train on the Duc. That said, I am unlikely to put more than 5K or so on this particular bike - if I keep the V-Strom.

If the touring with the wife goes to a minimum though, the V-Strom may go some day and then the FZ1 may be the better choice.

Hard call man. Both are fun bikes. If I were in your shoes I'm not sure what I'd do. However...I've spend the last year sorting out a Buell 1125R, I really kinda wish I'd bought a rock reliable FZ1 and tricked it out. I'd be pretty much done with the project and I would have ridden a lot more this year. The FZ is a hard bike to beat.

Yea, the FZ1 is lacking in the suspension dept, especially when you're comparing it to another bike that already has some nice Ohlins parts on there. Good thing is that there are plenty of aftermarket parts to make the FZ1 handle great, but of course you'll have to spend the extra money to get there. All that being said if you take the time to properly adjust the stock suspension for your weight and riding style it may not be so bad.

Only other thing that I would tell you to consider is maintenance in the long run. We both know the Ducati will be more expensive to maintain and the FZ1 is very reliable so...

If your heart is really set on the Ducati then go for it because no matter how good the FZ1 is you'll end up regretting not getting the bike you really wanted.
I'll go with a +1. it's like a Mits Evo compared to a ferrari. The Evo may be better in alot of ways. But the ferrari goes 0 the the girls nakid in my car in under 6 second flat.

Congrats on the new bike picard, I dont think you will regret it. Nearly every sit up sporty bike was looked at when I made my purchase, even used Duke s4r's. Great looking bikes. However the Yam has been a delight and probably far more useable in many ways (10 k miles in 12 month!). It makes a superb tourer, scrathcher or a reasonable cruiser. The Duke more than likely would be a financial drain in comparison and a much less polished allrounder.

Roll on the better weather to get the beast back out! After digging my way out of the driveway 3 times recently it seems like Fz1 time is a few weeks away yet:ugh:

btw, proper touring, yes you can. Even 1150 miles in 24 hours from Austria back to North East England including ferry crossing.....but I wouldnt want to do that again!!!lol.

Last edited:
Back