Continental Divide Ride 2013

Well assuming the Mayans or the many people who translated their calender where wrong (or idiots) I am planning another Big trip for 2013.

Like usual these past winters I spend a lot of time pouring over maps and plotting GPS tracks on the www.dualsportmaps.com site. This year I have decided to take a more casual ride, albeit more hard-core dirt oriented, with less long days of pavement pounding. I am using part of another ADV riders U.S. Continental Divide track through Montana (reversed, since he started in New Mexico) down to Yellowstone. I did not get to see much of Yellowstone last year since I had an unexpected detour and had to really fly through the west side of the park.

This year after a day playing with the (sure-to-be) parade of campers crawling through Yellowstone I will be hitting the most remote areas of Idaho. Winding along Forestry roads up to Sandpoint and into Washington's northeast corner. Then into the wilds of British Columbia between Nelson, Kimberley, and Fernie on gravel back roads.

The US portion looks like this:

2013tripUSsect.jpg

Utah's track like so,

Idahoroutecomplete.jpg

Hopefully without any of this,

crash.jpg

And lots of this,

Enjoyingthetrail.jpg

And YES it will be a loooooonnnnngggg Winter.

Now on to a fuel pump rebuild and filter change just to be safe. Then a Valve job.

That looks fantastic. Dirt, dirt, dirt! I look forward to a trip report

I am fairly certain that can be arranged.

I am planning on the last week of July and first Week of August. It may swing a week either side since I am waiting to hear from some riding buddies on their schedules.

In the mean time I am building tracks, way-pointing fuel locations, and camping spots along the route. That and honing my video editing skills.

Also started working out so I can handle the physical effort that is required to ride dirt (mostly picking up loaded bikes of the guys you ride with). ;)

Last edited:
Updated maps

Tracks are done and available on Dual Sport Maps and GPS Resources

2013roundtrip.jpg

The round trip route

MyDividemap.jpg

The Continental Divide to Yellowstone from Calgary

IdahoWashingtonroute.jpg

The Idaho into Washington section

NelwaytoCalgary.jpg

Nelway Border crossing to Calgary.

I have not totaled the miles yet, but that is next. The fuel stops and campgrounds, etc. are all done.

Last edited:
May I suggest more time a JellyStone vs. a turnaround? Killer place. I first rode there in about 1984 on my '81/'82 Yamaha Vision 550. What an amazing trip. Denver to Jacksonhole. Met my best friend from Hign School, who rode out from SF with his old brother on his '84 VFR750 to JH. We spent the next three days touring YS. What a blast! The Rangers were so cool. "Just slow down, we know the roads are amazing. Look out for moose too."

BTW...I was in Calgary two weeks ago. What a cool city. Next time I buzz up there we need to meet for dinner. I took my EE to Joey Tomato last time...near the Devon Tower.

http://www.998cc.org/forum/bar/16651-my-taxi-week.html

Last edited:
Looks like fun but if you are going through Columbia Falls, MT (Glacier National Park) you have to do the Going to the Sun Road, just because it is probably the most beautifully engineered road in North America, as well as the most scenic. It's not dirt but a spin through Glacier Park is always a must do if within shouting distance of the park. A three or four hour detour from Columbia Falls will get you to Logan Pass and back. Have fun.

Sounds amazing. I'll have to start saving up for a Super Tenere and do some of that too (although your KTM is better suited).:yes: I will anxiously await your photos, videos and descriptions of the trip as well as spring and summer.

Have a great and safe trip. Enjoy the ride. :cheers:

Well, I've looked at your routes, and based on the roads your taking, if you make it through this trip and don't see a Sasquatch, I may have to reconsider my beliefs!!! Can't wait for the reports when you return!:tup:

May I suggest more time a JellyStone vs. a turnaround? Killer place. I first rode there in about 1984 on my '81/'82 Yamaha Vision 550. What an amazing trip. Denver to Jacksonhole. Met my best friend from Hign School, who rode out from SF with his old brother on his '84 VFR750 to JH. We spent the next three days touring YS. What a blast! The Rangers were so cool. "Just slow down, we know the roads are amazing. Look out for moose too."

BTW...I was in Calgary two weeks ago. What a cool city. Next time I buzz up there we need to meet for dinner. I took my EE to Joey Tomato last time...near the Devon Tower.

http://www.998cc.org/forum/bar/16651-my-taxi-week.html

I actually plan a full day around Yellowstone. I just did not get a chance to do anything other than blast across the east side of the park. The wall to wall tourists gawking at anything with hooves was tiresome. I would however like a chance to see old faithful, etc.

Give me the heads up the next time you are coming to Calgary, there are lots of better places to eat than JT's. You would probably enjoy a ride in the Mini more than a cab anyway.

Looks like fun but if you are going through Columbia Falls, MT (Glacier National Park) you have to do the Going to the Sun Road, just because it is probably the most beautifully engineered road in North America, as well as the most scenic. It's not dirt but a spin through Glacier Park is always a must do if within shouting distance of the park. A three or four hour detour from Columbia Falls will get you to Logan Pass and back. Have fun.

The Going to the sun road is within a weekend drive from my place, and I will get it done one of these days. If I have not done it by the time this trip comes around (it is sometimes closed until late July/August) then a detour may be in order.

Sounds amazing. I'll have to start saving up for a Super Tenere and do some of that too (although your KTM is better suited).:yes: I will anxiously await your photos, videos and descriptions of the trip as well as spring and summer.

Have a great and safe trip. Enjoy the ride. :cheers:

Thanks, Idaho has some really well maintained "back roads" compared to British Columbia where I have ridden so much. There is a section near Selway Falls in Idaho that is an ATV trail. Other than that it should be easy compared to what I am used to.

Well, I've looked at your routes, and based on the roads your taking, if you make it through this trip and don't see a Sasquatch, I may have to reconsider my beliefs!!! Can't wait for the reports when you return!:tup:

Unless I come across a deaf one, I probably won't see them, even the Grizzlies run when faced with the mighty "Orange Dragon". Good thing I run stock exhaust, or I would never see any wildlife.

I will be running a "Spot" this coming season, considering how lucky I have been in a couple of backwood crashes, I thought it time to stack the odds in my favor.

This will also allow me to post a link to my Spot letting anyone who is interested, track my location during the trip.

Dual Sport Maps

I am just glad I know about dualsportmaps.com! ;)

Looks like a great trip!

If you have a GPS unit, it is an excellent resource for finding and building tracks. Once you have signed up you can see and download other riders gpx tracks. It also allows you to create a track, add waypoints and converts it into a gpx file that you can download to use in your GPS unit.

I have used the site for every trip since I bought my GPS.

You don't have to ride off-road to use the site, but if you do check your area of the map and I'll bet there are tracks (rides) to be had.

any of this in the selected route?

World's Scariest Bike Trail Ride

Not that run. Bike with bags would end badly (sudden decrease in altitude).

That had to be THE most insane trail vid I ever saw! :wow:

I have seen that before, and although I would consider doing that run on a small bike, I would never drag friends along, as I would not want to have something happen to them. A 990 on that trail would be inviting disaster, considering how a small twitch at the throttle equals lots of acceleration. When I first had the bike it nearly killed me on a narrow trail with a long drop off for that exact reason.

Day 1

Well after last year's trip, I have to say that It was with some trepidation that I embarked on another trip where I would be out of touch for days at a time. Life and death happen and never on anyone else's schedule or at anyone else's convenience, that's just "life". I still could not help but fear turning on my phone at day's end, but we all have our demons, so to speak. This year's expedition was another months-in-the-planning affair that was almost derailed by the flooding just prior to the trip. Two members of the trip ended up bailing (so to speak) as a direct result of the flood, pairing the trip down to just 2. The weather ravaged the first days route as well dumping us onto the few undamaged roads along the way, having washed out bridges and sections of road-bed on the original track. Fittingly, it was raining as we left Calgary. Two of the crew that could not make the trip came for a breakfast meet-up and send off which I really appreciated.

The two bikes for the trip. My 2009 KTM 990 Adventure, and Ian's Suzuki DRZ 400 with it's 4 Gallon tank. He would have much less fun on the pavement stretches.

Cafe Jax in Eureka Montana. I recommend this place.

My wide angle lens (10-17) takes the steepness of this trail away. I always stopped in gear to prevent unwanted descents.

Late in the afternoon north of Polebridge, MT

Such a good Bakery, made for a nice breakfast, and had good coffee as a bonus!

The Famous North Fork Hostel in Polebridge Montana. The owner Oliver was a great guy to talk to, and very well traveled.

Eureka, It's Montana - YouTube

Montana, C D T 1 - YouTube

When you have an epic adventure it can be hard to follow up year after year without upping the ante both in cost and length. I considered this years adventure as a toned down, budget conscience project. I wanted to plan less and be more open for “adventure”, leaving more to chance. That being said, I did plot out the track as detailed as possible using local rider’s advice as well as tracks from "Big Dog" and "Cannonshot" of ADV Rider. When it came to food I was content to mix Restaurant and cook-at camp meals. This was not so much to save pack weight, or money, but I actually like to cook at a campsite. The idea of camping for all 14 nights was again, a personal preference, both for its flexibility and atmosphere. Like all things related to an adventure, they don’t always go as you would like.

Rain gear was packed away a few hours south of town and the weather was beautiful after that. The border crossing was quick and easy, although I did wonder for a few minutes after Ian disappeared behind me. I had found a interesting Eureka restaurant when doing my initial research and so we headed in town to find the Cafe Jax . It is a nice place if you are passing through Eureka MT. After missing the liquor store by 5 minutes, we headed down tobacco road and toward Polebridge. The road was amazing once we crossed the highway south of town and the ride in the late afternoon light was inspiring. We pushed on to Polebridge and the iconic Mercantile store, ending up at the North Fork Hostel, just blocks away, for the night. Oliver, the owner, was an interesting guy and has an amazing history.

Last edited:
Rusty??

Ok, I know I'm Rusty, but why do some of my You Tube Vids embed and others just post a link??? I think senility might be a bit early as an explaination ;(

Back