Contacts...

What I didn't like about lasik was that they told me I would eventually need reading glasses so I don't see the point of changing one type or glasses for another.

But wouldn't this also apply to contacts? If you will eventually develop presbyopia, you would need reading glasses with contacts I imagine

I finally started using reading glasses in ernest this year, age 46. Basically my Dr. said that LASIKiincreases the need for reading glasses by about 5 years. I look at it this way having 20/15 vision for 95% of the day trumps wearing reading glasses 5 years earlier.

I wear contacts, Johnston and Johnston Acuvue Moist. They are one day throw away lenses and are extremely comfortable and take me a few seconds to put in and then I throw them away at the end of the day. It's too easy.
At first it's a bit of mucking around but these days it's a breeze.
What I didn't like about lasik was that they told me I would eventually need reading glasses so I don't see the point of changing one type of glasses for another.
Don't be scared mate just give them a go and see for yourself.

I was concerned about having to get reading glasses too before I had the Lasik. So I decided to go with the mono-vision option where they altered one eye for close and one for far. So now I shouldn't have to worry about needing reading glasses. The mono-vision took a few months to get used to but now I don't even think about. It's all about your brain making the adjustment.

I'll also take 95% of the day without glasses. Right now, I am near-sighted but am at the point that I have to take off my glasses to read small print, thus no glasses at times. Normal text and using the PC or laptop is fine. If I could reverse this and not use glasses except to read close stuff, then I am 100% OK with that.

There is almost no way to avoid glasses of some sort in your life.

Hey PG
I had wore mostly contacts between 15-24, I hated them for most part but disliked glasses even more, I just looked like a goose no matter the style of the frame.
I tried I reckon about a hundred different types of lens, daily, fortnightly, monthly, leave in, take out. I never really got on with them on, weather it was wind (an issue when riding), dirt, water that made them sometimes unbearable or maintaining them with the little cups with the saline cleaning them, it was always just a pain in the ass, especially considering I am a faily active person. Alot of the time I just put up with looking like a wally and put my specs on.
Eventually I had enough, I followed the advice of a mate who said check out Lasik. It would have to be the best money I have ever spent. 6 Years later and I have not looked back, had perfect vision since, not to mention it has more than likely paid for itself in terms of money saved on glasses and contacts etc. Techincally I was short sighted, but realistically I couldn't see past my nose.
I could not agree more with the advice given by RavenFZ1, make sure you do your homework and check the risks and for the best practitioners. I didn't actually go with the first LASIK place I went to because I wasn't at all comfortable with what they were selling me. As far as age goes, different places will have different policies. However I think your lens perscription has to be stable for 2 or 3 years before it is advisable for obvious reasons.
Good luck with whatever you decide.

Last edited:
I previously wore contacts for a year or year and a half. Acuvue Oasis 2's if I remember correctly; I think it was around $130 for a 6 month supply... I didn't have any problems except I ended up unemployed/strapped for cash and couldn't afford additional contacts - and switched back to glasses. Since then my glasses haven't bothered me enough to want to switch back.
When I had contacts, I took them out basically every night, and put them back in at the beginning of the day. I ALWAYS rinsed & rubbed with fresh solution; it was part of my 'getting ready for bed routine'. If I fell asleep with them in, my eyes would usually be a bit irritated and dry, but it was never bad enough to need eye drops. I probably wore mine much longer than was recommended (4-6 weeks as long as they didn't tear or have some other mishap - like falling out and landing on a floor I didn't trust).

When riding, I still wore glasses; specifically: safety glasses. I usually stowed two pairs in my seat (1 clear, 1 tinted). Both were Nemesis safety glasses (ANSI Z87.1+ approved). That's what I miss most about contacts, cause the safety glasses cost about $7 a pair locally, kept tons of stuff out, and, IMO, looked pretty decent as well. Clear, Tinted

As for corrective eye surgery, two of my good friends went to this place: LASIK Eye Surgery near Salt Lake City, Utah - Hoopes Vision
My buddies actually got the wave guided PRK, which is different than Lasik. They both said the PRK was one of the most painful experiences of their lives (which I believe is one major difference to Lasik)... However, both of them now have better than 20/20 vision and love it. Definitely explore all the details and risks if you're serious about surgery (pain, cost, risks, healing time, etc); as you age your eyes may still deteriorate and glasses may become necessary again.

If the money (and pain) weren't an obstacle, I'd opt for PRK.

Just wanted to give a follow up.

Went today to try out my new trial pair of contacts. Acuvue Oasis for Astigmatism.

I can't get them in, so they didn't let me take them home. I really am sad about this, but I cant touch my eye for the life of me and it was just NOT going to happen. When they were showing me how to get them out, I knew it would never work. But yeah, basically not goign to happen. Tried for about an hour. I just cant get them past the point of the edges touching my eye, as much as I stopped my eyelids from blinking, I could not stop my head from jolting back. It looked like I was trying to stick a soldering iron in there or something..

I will wait a few years and do the Lasik.

:(

Just wanted to give a follow up.

Went today to try out my new trial pair of contacts. Acuvue Oasis for Astigmatism.

I can't get them in, so they didn't let me take them home. I really am sad about this, but I cant touch my eye for the life of me and it was just NOT going to happen. When they were showing me how to get them out, I knew it would never work. But yeah, basically not goign to happen.

I will wait a few years and do the Lasik.

:(

It takes some getting used to, but now that I've been wearing contacts for over 20 years it's a breeze to put them in or take them out.

And yes if you can afford it doing the Lasik now in your early-mid 20s is definitely worth it.

They said they would keep them there fro me, in the event I want to try again.

I don't know if its even worth my gas to go there. I just don't think I can do it.

Well, I am going to give it one more shot. Going back next Monday. Until then I am going to practice touching my eye... I want to be a new man when I go there next week!

lol

Well, I am going to give it one more shot. Going back next Monday. Until then I am going to practice touching my eye... I want to be a new man when I go there next week!

lol

Well hopefully you'll be able to get them. You'll be amazed at how much better your peripheral vision is with the contacts. My eyesight is pretty bad and I have ridden with glasses before, but with the contacts it's sooooo much better :)

Give it another go, I've worn glasses for the last 25 years, but started wearing contacts about 5 years ago.

It took me 3 attempts at the opticians to get them in & out, but its well worth the effort.

:eek5:

I've had glasses since first grade, contacts since 7th. It takes a bit to adjust, but it's well worth it. Though they are 100Xbettrr than glasses, if you have eye allergies at all they become a serious pain. I now revolve my contact wearing around my riding due to my allergies. I do not like to ride withglasses on, it is seriously scary not being able to use peripheral vision. Btw, I'm -5 prescription, my vision is completely gone without correction.

Don't give up with the contacts Papa. They are a bit of mucking around at first but eventually they become second nature to insert and remove.
Contacts are awesome these days. I have the Acuvue Moist 1 day ones and nothing could be easier than throwing them away at the end of the day.
Previously, it used to be a pain in the arse having to store and clean your contacts, now it's a breeze.

Back