Considering some mods, need advice

Drinky

So I have my FZ1 (07) for about 4 weeks now, and I wanna make it even better than it already is.

Biggest issue I have right now is the front brakes, Its got 33000 km (20.000 miles) on the clock, no idea if the pads have already been replaced,
but I think it brakes a little to sponge like, I can pretty much brake like an idiot and still the ABS wont kick in, and I keep rolling. which is not a good thing..
(ABS kicking in isn't either, but I should be able to block the wheel if I wanted to, this just prooves the brakes dont work properly, I wouldn't even need ABS right now)

So besides replacing the pads, I want to make them better than stock. If that means a different disk&pads so be it. What kind of disk/pads should I get? (for a reasonable price, im not planning on swapping everything)
I'll get steel braided lines as well.

Next up is suspension. I like the stock better than what I had stock on my FZ6, and since the entire thing is adjustable, I'll look into optimizing settings first. But on my fz6 I had hyperpro progressive springs. Would that improve suspension even further on the FZ1? Or would it be a waste of money?

Also I'm getting an akrapovic slipon, the air filter is pretty dirty so I'm considering BMC/K&N, or should I stick with the stock filter??
Is it hard to clean the bmc/K&N properly?

And last but not least, I'm considering getting a powercommander.

But I see the power commander 5 for 2009 model, and power commander 3 for 2009, I thought there was no difference between 07-09, and only from '10 on it might have a different ECU??

any tips are appreciated!!

(other mods/planned: rizoma rearsets, pazzo levers (already installed), LED lights for the outer 2 small lights, and looking into more, if you know any good mods pls let me know!)

Hi Drinky
First welcome and congrats.

In regards to the brakes:
I would personally replace the brake pads with new ones and bleed the brake lines putting new brakefluid, which you'll do anyway if you consider to put steal brakelines. You may also wanna check if the callipers are not dirty. This way you are 100% sure the brakes are up to date and working, and that is what you really want.

Suspension:
I would suggest to first set the suspension to your weight (setting the static sag) including your full bike gear. After I've done mine, it rides so much better I have delayed my purchase of an aftermarket supension.
The front suspension I'd try with first some thicker oil.

For other mods, check the sticky http://www.998cc.org/forum/gen-ii-mods/7114-gen-ii-mods-start-here.html

Last edited:
great, thx, i've browsed through the start here topic, and it has a few nice idea's.
I'm not going to mod the flies/airbox though, prefer to leave that area stock, there are to many people saying you should, and others saying you shouldn't for me to justify a minor performance upgrade on an already great bike.

great, thx, i've browsed through the start here topic, and it has a few nice idea's.
I'm not going to mod the flies/airbox though, prefer to leave that area stock, there are to many people saying you should, and others saying you shouldn't for me to justify a minor performance upgrade on an already great bike.

Suspension is a good place to start= New fork springs & rebound valve kit, fresh oil and seals will sort the front-end out sweet. Rear shock= depends on how much you weight and want to $, Penske can be had for resonable $ nowdays with correct spring, will probably be your best bet. Air-filter, 16t and all the free mods incl slip-on will make her hum. Then if you want more then PC3 or PCV. Don't get to carried away with all the go-fast bits as the bike has some good pedigree, it just needs to be freed up and let her breath.

Braided brake lines definitely, you will LOVE the stopping power. I put mine on at about 10000 miles and it's one of my favorite mods.
I pretty much have done everything but a pcu, I don't feel I really need one. It runs great without it, even with airbox mod, fly mod, k&n filter, two brothers exhaust, velocity stacks, 16T sprocket, on and on. Besides, DOING the mods is fun. :)

Back