Compression and rebound damping settings

I weigh 200lbs and I have set my 2012 bike's preload settings according to the precedure recommended that was the same both in a book and on the Internet in several places. I am 1 click from maximum both with the forks and rear shock. I'm happy with the preload adjustments. The bike seems to have a quicker response going through a canyon road near my home.
However, i don't have a clue as to what to set the compression and rebound damping. Do the preload settings have a relationship as to how hard or soft you should try to initially set up the damping settings? Or,if for example you want to set the compression harder, do you then need to set the rebound harder also.
Thanks for any suggestions!

That's what I weight and our settings are no were close. I have a 2007. I set mine up for sag after watching the videos and I am 4 rings up on the adj. #4 on the rear spring(that actually is a little stiffer) but I like it there. Comp in the middle setting. I have to check the rebound settings but they are backed off a couple clicks from Factory setting. I also raised my fork through the triple 5mm. the bike handles awesome(for me). this took some fine tuning over a few thousand miles through the canyons and tight twistes. good luck

Don't forget that without the same tires, the settings will only be "in the ballpark". Without compareing the measured OD, 2 tires may be very different in diameter.

To me, the only way to really figure it out, is to have a test road, and go test on it.

Back