completely new

sammysr

hey guys im 16 and just got a 2002 fz1. first motorcycle ive ever had and just wondered if there were things i need to know etc. that i dont. my uncle and my dad are helping me and im only allowed to ride with them ntill im 18 haha. and dont tell me thing has a huge pair of balls because i figured that out yesterday when i drove it for the first time lol. it has more power than i though and actually kind of scares me ;) just kidding haha but seriously anything that could help please post

Just ride your own ride and dont worry about trying to keep up with faster people. every thing will come with seat time. More importanly go take some safety classes.

I think I would have been just fine starting on a liter bike, but I took the safety class, generally have a cool head and calm wrist about me.

Most important thing is take an MSF class.

That is a lot of motorcycle for a first time rider not named Rossi.

My sentiments exactly. Do you have any other prior riding experience? MotoX? or any street riding??? I'd never let my son start out on a liter bike but thats just me. I know that there are many youngsters out there with a natural gift of riding big bike early. If your one of these kids God bless you. As everyone else has said, I'd definitely look into a safety class to get you better suited for riding on the street. If you were my son I wouldn't let you out of first gear for at least six months, this way you'd be limited to 80 or 90mph. Just be careful and take it slow......with your throttle hand that is!

Good luck with the bike mate.
I'm surprised that you went for a 1000cc bike straight up but it's good to see that your Dad and uncle have restricted you to riding with them.
Listen to them and take it easy at first.

yeah i know this a lot of bike to start out with but my dads the one who picked it and didnt care because he knows i dont speed. i wont have that bike over 60 for awhile anyways, and im a bit afraid of what it can do so for awhile i wont be doing bad stuff. plus i can only ride with my dad and uncle for like 2 years so it should be all good.

Welcome, lets see some pics of the beast. Most of all young brother take it easy on the throttle. And if you dont already get some serious riding gear.

Take a riding class as others have said and get the gear. I know a lot of young guys don't like wearing all the gear, but remember there are two kinds of riders out there those who have crashed and those still waiting for their turn. I've had my turn twice :) welcome to the forum.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

The best piece of advice I can give you is to seek professional training. Not to insult your Dad and Uncle, but they may not know a damn thing about riding even if they've been riding for 30 years. More often than not, the advice you get from friends and family is nothing but counter-productive. There's a lot of 'seasoned' riders out there that got their licenses from a cracker-jack box and are more incompetent than someone who's ridden 6 months with proper training under their belt.

You need training from professionals so you can learn the right habits and skills from the start.

There's a great report that was put out in the 80s called the Hurt Report that documented all sorts of accidents and statistics on motorcycles over a period of time throughout the USA.

The motorcycle riders involved in accidents are essentially without training; 92% were self-taught or learned from family or friends. Motorcycle rider training experience reduces accident involvement and is related to reduced injuries in the event of accidents.

This is further elaborated on in a great pair of books called Proficient Motorcycling by David L. Hough. In a nutshell, you are many times more likely to be involved in a fatal accident if you are taught by friends & family because of all the bad habits people develop. You are actually at less of a risk (not much less mind you) if you are self-taught. The potential for a fatal accident is reduced by a huge margin for people who have taken professional training.

Enjoy your new bike and be careful :)

Edit: Don't forget your gear! You're 16 and there's no sense ruining the body you're going to have to live with for the next 70+ years!

Learn to wrench on the bike! Check over all its bits and pieces and learn to inspect and adjust. Its a 10 year old machine and previous owners (POs) are often complete idjits. I personally enjoy wrenching as much as riding particularly in the cold of winter. Bonding with the machine may make you more careful with it and by default with your own skin. . . .
FULL FACE HELMET PLEASE!

I am also a first time rider who picked the FZ1. Powerful, yes. Controllable, absolutly. Your dad and uncle probably have a welth of knowladge, but I suggest " twist of the wrist" that book and video has helped me more than any tribal knowladge I've found.

NEVER ride under the influence of drugs, alcohol or upset emotions.

ALWAYS maintain your concentration while riding. Do not zone out looking at landscapes.

ALWAYS wear a helmet when you ride.

Look in the direction you intend to ride and scan ahead. Do not look down or that is where you will end up.

What does your father ride? If he had any idea of how much power that steed makes and how fast it will go, he must have been on meth when he said you could get it with no prior experience. Have you taken any classes yet? In my state you wouldn't even be able to license it without a MSF class under your belt. Be very careful, better riders than your or me have had experience, hopped on a liter bike and ran it directly into a tree. END OF STORY.

yeah i know this a lot of bike to start out with but my dads the one who picked it and didnt care because he knows i dont speed. i wont have that bike over 60 for awhile anyways, and im a bit afraid of what it can do so for awhile i wont be doing bad stuff. plus i can only ride with my dad and uncle for like 2 years so it should be all good.

I agree with all of the constructive statements made. MSF, Gear, look ahead, etc. I did want to mention that with the accidental twist of a wrist you can get this bike over 70 in first gear before you know what happened to you. My advice to add is practice emergency stopping!

Last edited:
I just wanted to let Sammy know that we are in no way trying to scare you. We just want you to be safe when riding since the FZ1, while not a "pure bred sportbike", has a ton of power on tap, which could bite you if your not careful. That's all. We really wish you a safe, incident free, ride. Just wear your gear and start slowly. Oh, and post some pictures of the new ride. We are anxious to see it!:yes:

Back