Comparison of Gen II FZ1 with Gen 6 VFR

I am looking for input from members about comparison of Gen II FZ1 with Gen 6 VFR. Specifically relating to these topics and others you can think of:

1. Wind protection
2. Reliability
3. Fuel efficiency
4. How long can you ride without being uncomfortable (the VFR is sportier)
5. Overall cost of ownership
6. Comfort of passenger for two up riding
7. Ease of maintenance (VFR has more faring by default)
8. Insurance cost

From my own limited experience with both bikes I would say that the FZ1 has much more get up and go.

I recently purchased an 08 FZ1 at a very good price and low miles (1700 when I bought it). I have a ZG sport touring windshield on the way for my FZ1. I bought the FZ1 thinking I might like it and the price was so good I decided if I wanted to sell it I could do that.

I also understand that I am asking this question in an FZ1 forum :)

Thanks.

Last edited:
I am going to make some educated comments below:

1. VFR since it has full fairings
2. FZ1 is proven
3. Can't comment here, but FZ1 is not great and neither is its range.
4. Too many variables here...I'd probably give the edge to the FZ1
5. FZ1
6. VFR
7. Probably FZ1
8. Not sure how VFR is classified, but FZ1 is relatively cheap to insure

Are you trying to evaluate your purchase of the FZ1 over the VTEC VFR??

I've owned a long line of Honda V-Fours including a 6th Gen Viffer.
After I sold my ST1300 in December '09, I considered going back to a 6th gen.
That's what I traded for the ST in 2004.

I chose the FZ over another VFR due to the high cost of valve checks/adjustments. If you have a shop perform the service, the price ranges from around $350-$700 depending on the shop and if there are adjustments needed. The cams have to be pulled and replace twice each due to the VTEC valves-recommended every 16,000 miles...pricey.

The FZ1 valve checks are at, what, every 26,000 miles?

Also, Honda, in there infinite wisdom fit their bikes with linked brakes. While the system works well, they're a complete PITA to bleed.

Stock seat on the 6th gen is a torture device!

For me, insurance was more for the VFR.

VFRs were also more expensive for the same model year FZ1.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE VFRs...just decided upon a different path this time. Nothing quite like the sound of a piped V-Four!

Are you trying to evaluate your purchase of the FZ1 over the VTEC VFR??

I've owned a long line of Honda V-Fours including a 6th Gen Viffer.
After I sold my ST1300 in December '09, I considered going back to a 6th gen.
That's what I traded for the ST in 2004.

I chose the FZ over another VFR due to the high cost of valve checks/adjustments. If you have a shop perform the service, the price ranges from around $350-$700 depending on the shop and if there are adjustments needed. The cams have to be pulled and replace twice each due to the VTEC valves-recommended every 16,000 miles...pricey.

The FZ1 valve checks are at, what, every 26,000 miles?

Also, Honda, in there infinite wisdom fit their bikes with linked brakes. While the system works well, they're a complete PITA to bleed.

Stock seat on the 6th gen is a torture device!

For me, insurance was more for the VFR.

VFRs were also more expensive for the same model year FZ1.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE VFRs...just decided upon a different path this time. Nothing quite like the sound of a piped V-Four!
Yes, I am trying to decide whether or not I am going to keep the FZ1 and am considering the VFR (also ST1300, Concours, or an FJR1300). The last three, mentioned are more money so I was mainly considering the VFR. I was not aware of the maintenance schedule issues you mentioned for the VFR....I appreciate your input. The insurance for the FZ1 is more than the FJR1300 that I had (and should have never sold...chalk that one up to experience).

At the time I bought my FZ1 back last June I was torn between the VFR and FZ1. I always had a thing for the VFR. Ultimately price made my decision for me. I have not once regretted that decision.

Yes, I am trying to decide whether or not I am going to keep the FZ1 and am considering the VFR (also ST1300, Concours, or an FJR1300). The last three, mentioned are more money so I was mainly considering the VFR. I was not aware of the maintenance schedule issues you mentioned for the VFR....I appreciate your input. The insurance for the FZ1 is more than the FJR1300 that I had (and should have never sold...chalk that one up to experience).

I see your issue, now. Seller's remorse? Dude, that sucks!

The ST1300 is a great bike, but way different than the FJR.
The ST leans to the touring side-the FJR leans to the sport side.

The ST is a bit softer in it's power delivery and may bore you if you liked the punch of the I-four. The ST is also a bit heavier too. However, the ST is a very well balanced bike and is easy to ride quickly. Just heavy.

The only reason I sold the ST is that my wife and I just don't have the time to tour like we used to. Moved and changed jobs due to our great economy-now I'm self employed and out of the corporate workforce. No more four weeks paid vacation. Now if I'm not working, I'm not getting paid, so that shot the opportunities for extended trips in the near future.

I'm very happy with my choosing the FZ1-it fits my current needs.

I see your issue, now. Seller's remorse? Dude, that sucks!

The ST1300 is a great bike, but way different than the FJR.
The ST leans to the touring side-the FJR leans to the sport side.

The ST is a bit softer in it's power delivery and may bore you if you liked the punch of the I-four. The ST is also a bit heavier too. However, the ST is a very well balanced bike and is easy to ride quickly. Just heavy.

The only reason I sold the ST is that my wife and I just don't have the time to tour like we used to. Moved and changed jobs due to our great economy-now I'm self employed and out of the corporate workforce. No more four weeks paid vacation. Now if I'm not working, I'm not getting paid, so that shot the opportunities for extended trips in the near future.

I'm very happy with my choosing the FZ1-it fits my current needs.
I sold my FJR in early November 2009 because I had a few close calls in a short period of time with people almost moving into my lane without looking and I thought to myself this is crazy....whether I am at fault or not, I lose. So I listed the bike on craigslist and before I new it someone came and bought it. I decided that it was something I enjoyed too much and decided I was going to get a bike anyways. I have heard that the ST1300is nice but can be a little boring and it is heavy. The FZ1 leans over so easy it makes me giggle. I think if it was warmer and I could ride it more it would be easier to sort out, plus I think the windshield that Oldschool suggested will help a lot with wind protection.

Fz1 & vfr

From someone who has an FZ1 & VFR in the gargage, both bikes are fantasic. I ride a gen1 FZ1 and the wife has a gen3 VFR. I have not rode a gen2 FZ, but have rode gen 3,5 & 6 vfr. If it was a Gen 5 VFR, I'd say go with it hands down. To me the Vtec kinda dumbied down the V4 and made you wait for power, sort of like us on the inline 4's. Both bikes are to notch riders bikes and you would love either one. The pluses of both have been covered and both will do all you want and then some. My best advice is how they feel to you. I was a Honda guy for years before my FZ1. It just felt right and has all I ever ask of it. Only down side is my Gen 1 is thursty on fuel.
rvr03.jpg

I'll answer your points below but based on my experience with 2 VFR's, a '90 and an '01 there are 2 words, overweight and underpowered. Every gen VFR has these issues which is why I sold my VFR's and never looked back.

1. Wind protection
This is a tie...you can get similar wind protection on both bikes with aftermarket screens
2. Reliability
I don't know how many people have high mile Fizzy's, I personally have a friend that's put >100K on multiple VFR's pre 6th gen and they're rock solid reliable except their sore thumb R&R issues. Not sure if the 6th gen's have that issue anymore but the VTEC is a definite POS and the valve job is a royal PITA.
3. Fuel efficiency
Not sure on this one...I think their very similar.
Stock the Fizzy wins but you can make the VFR pretty close with aftermarket risers
FZ1 wins hands down...the valve checks are @26.6 while the VFR is @15K and if you actually have to make an adjustment the FZ1 wins again.
Not sure on this one but I'm sure they're close
FZ1 for being naked and mush more accessible.
8. Insurance cost
I bet the FZ1 is less or they're close.

Hey Drainfade...didn't you used to hang out on the VFR "big list" back in the day?? Or maybe VFRD??

Your screen name seems very familiar. I was on the big list from about 1996 through 2002. I've had four VFRs...'92, '96, '00, & '06.

Same for me, I've had at least one Honda V-Four in the garage for LOTS of years...until now.

Sorry for the thread jack...

Last edited:
Speaking of insurance.... my 05 FZ1 through State Farm with uninsured/underinsured and theft full coverage w/$100 deductable is $280 for 6 months....me 58 w/no violations

Hey Drainfade...didn't you used to hang out on the VFR "big list" back in the day?? Or maybe VFRD??

Your screen name seems very familiar. I was on the big list from about 1996 through 2002. I've had four VFRs...'92, '96, '00, & '06.

Same for me, I've had at least one Honda V-Four in the garage for LOTS of years...until now.

Sorry for the thread jack...

Hey...yea I was on he big list and VFRD for a real long time. Funny how people meet again...we obviously have similar motorcycling needs coming from VFR's to the FZ1. I loved both of them for different reasons and it's interesting how things change. I couldn't believe the BIg list ended...I didn't even know until my hard core VFR friend told me. One of my riding partners is a hard core VFR owner...he puts over 100K on every one and has never deviated from owning a VFR. His name is Ken...you remember him ? He recently got a "new" 98 and rides like a maniac..puts tons of miles on em in no time.
Woops...I better stop hijacking the thread as well.

Hey...yea I was on he big list and VFRD for a real long time. Funny how people meet again...we obviously have similar motorcycling needs coming from VFR's to the FZ1. I loved both of them for different reasons and it's interesting how things change. I couldn't believe the BIg list ended...I didn't even know until my hard core VFR friend told me. One of my riding partners is a hard core VFR owner...he puts over 100K on every one and has never deviated from owning a VFR. His name is Ken...you remember him ? He recently got a "new" 98 and rides like a maniac..puts tons of miles on em in no time.
Woops...I better stop hijacking the thread as well.

I thought I "recognized" you. :cheers:
I remember a Ken, but there were lots of hardcore vifferisti on the big list!

Small world-our paths have crossed again.

Now back to your regularly scheduled discussion...

1. Wind protection
Not much in it, the vfr screen is low
2. Reliability
Both excellent. Though some folk would have you believe that the Honda is better...regualator/rectifier failing is common on the vfr and other Hondas. the exhaust is prone to rot as its so hard to get at for cleaning, the yamaha pipes under the engine dont look very clever BUT they are easy to get at..
3. Fuel efficiency
The Honda Might edge it, the 22l fuel tank is the 'ace in the hole'.
IMO the vfr has a better seat but I find the riding position uncomfortably stretched (Iam six foot! so shorter riders must have even more of a reach) I would say the FZ
Fz cheaper to run on servicing side
Dunno
FZ easily wins, the Honda v fours are notoriously tight for access. Even ignoring the time involved in removing the vfr panels. Uk Yamaha is 6k service intervals which is a bonus on new bikes when wanting to keep the warranty going, Honda I think at 4k. This means expensive dealer serving every 3x times to the yams 2x. A big service (valves) at 16 k on the honda when the fz is 24k (I think) and easier to access
8. Insurance cost
No idea at the moment

Both great bikes. The FZ performance is much stronger than the vfr. A few long term vfr owners upgrade the rear shocks, same as some fz owners. Both bikes benefit from an upgrade. Pegs touch down on both bikes in standard trim if pushed hard.

I'd compare wheelbase and fork degree angle. FZ's are great for handling. Could go a couple inches shorter and maybe 1/2 degrees less in angle, I suspect.

Can't beat our engine for power and strength. I now have 51k miles on the 06 and not touched the valves, changed out the plugs once, on third set of sprockets/chains.

Don't ask how many tires, but a lot.

Bike runs far better now than new. LOVES to run hard/high rpms. Complains about zero.

But my cbr1000 was in the shop ALL the time, mostly on constant recalls. Doubt I'd by honda again.

Insurance, just liability, like 190 a year.

I'd compare wheelbase and fork degree angle. FZ's are great for handling. Could go a couple inches shorter and maybe 1/2 degrees less in angle, I suspect.

Can't beat our engine for power and strength. I now have 51k miles on the 06 and not touched the valves, changed out the plugs once, on third set of sprockets/chains.

Don't ask how many tires, but a lot.

Bike runs far better now than new. LOVES to run hard/high rpms. Complains about zero.

But my cbr1000 was in the shop ALL the time, mostly on constant recalls. Doubt I'd by honda again.

Insurance, just liability, like 190 a year.
That is a lot of miles on an 06, you must have good riding weather year round. I rode my FJR frequently during good riding weather and only put on 5K.

I should get my new windshield today (ZG Sport Touring), I think that will help the wind.

Last edited:
That is a lot of miles on an 06, you must have good riding weather year round. I rode my FJR frequently during good riding weather and only put on 5K.

I shlould get my new windshield today (ZG Sport Touring), I think that will help the wind.

I think the FZ wants to run all the time. Not a garage bike, I suspect. Bought the 06 new in oct 07, live in sf bay area, only ride two twistie loops of about 160 miles each. Only ride dry weather. One twisties loop is slow tight twisties, mostly, which the FZ likes to tackle mostly first gear, but running often near the limiter.

Deer hate the sound of the graves at high rpm, too.

I have the Yam 'tour' windshield. This is NOT a tour shield at all. Only two inches taller and about an inch or so wider. Perfect shield for high wind and a little faster riding: just lay on the tank and outta the wind stream. Just perfect. Looks: not as cool, but sure is a WORKING screen.

I think the FZ offers more standard position than the VFR, but don't know for sure. If so, then that's another plus as multiple positions really assists on my daily 160 mile stop for fuel only rides.

I am going to stick with the FZ1, I really like the handling, acceleration, weight of the bike (especially compared to my fjr) and riding position, quite happy that I did not sell it when I had the chance to do so. Weather has been warm enough the last couple of days I could take it to work. :cloud9:

Back