cold weather riding

I decided to head down to the Detroit area for the weekend to see my daughter and her family. On the way down I knew it would be cool because it was only about 60 degrees when I left but it warmed up by the time I had put 100 miles on. I had my electric gloves, flannel lines jeans with military cold weather underwear under the jeans. I used my bomber jacket rather than my Tourmaster because I didn't think I'd need the close neckline of the tourmaster. WRONG, WRONG, WRONG. On the trip back:stunta]: it was 58 degrees when I left the metro area but I figured it would have to warm up as the day progressed. By the time I had gone about 130 miles I felt a bit chilly and stopped to get some gas and a cup of coffee. I called my wife at home and she said it was only 49 degrees. This was at noon. The wind was out of the north at about 25 miles an hour. Even though the V-screen does a good job of keeping the wind down, after 200 miles of that stuff my body temp was down and even my legs were cold from the constant beating of cold wind. In 13 more days I'll be headed for warmer weather I hope. The local weather man said yesterday that our sumer season is about 45 days behind schedule so we have plenty of cool weather to look forward to. New Mexico and Arizona, I'm coming soon!

LOL here in FL we look for 49 - 58 degree days. Now i do not typically ride that many miles in that cool weather, but when we ride in NC mountains it is pretty coool. Frequent stops and nice hot coffee/cocoa.

Summer is here in FL. 85+ already. Now if we can just get it to stop raining.

Well, be careful what you wish for. Triple digits for afternoon high in Phoenix. Has been in the mid 90's here in New Mexico.

Got your anticipated timeline for when you might be blazing through?

Maine to Penn to Maine to Penn... ect.

I live in Maine but go to college in the southern part of Pennsylvania and my main form of transportation is my bike. I ride home every break except the christmas break, and back again. I also choose to ride at night so the traffic through NY and NJ is not horrible. When I left to come home for the thanksgiving break it was 40 degrees in PA, and 8pm. Thats a 600 mile, 12 hour trip on the interstate at 80-90 mph, and it only gets colder the farther north you get. I had an open faced helmet and a pair of work gloves, 2 pairs of jeans on, several hoodies and a leather jacket. FROZEN... I borrowed my dads snowmobile helmet and gloves for the ride back, a little better. Im too stingy to spend money for a few hours in a hotel so i ride straight through and stop every 100 miles for gas and a stretch. That ride was not nearly as bad as the final ride home i had a few weeks ago. same ride, a little warmer, but pouring rain the ENTIRE time, and wicked wind the whole time. No rain gear. tried the trashbag method but met little sucess. Anyway, all that to say, I sympathise with you.

If I were to be doing that kind of mileage on a regular basis, I'd be investing in some good gear to make it as painless as possible. I rode pretty much through the entire winter here in NM. Mornings would be upper 20's to mid 30's with afternoon highs in the upper 40's.

Most of my riding was about a 60-100 mile commute within the city limits of Albuquerque. Gauntlet gloves, full faced helmet with protective neck layer, half neoprene mask, insulated leather jacket, a pair of jeans with only a pair of fleece longjohns underneath. Maybe my experience would had been different if I was covering greater distances, but I was always comfortable.

Boy how I would like to have some cooler riding weather again. Had to drop the leather jacket for a lighter textile and feel naked without it. I will not give in to riding without any gear just so I can be cooler as the higher temps keep coming.

BroHay

Last edited:
When I was 18, I would ride to go see my girlfriend in that kind of weather. Now, 41 years older and three wives later, screw that kind of riding. I'll wait for warmer weather and the woman in my life will wait for me.

Heated Grips

Hi all. I just picked up a clean low mile '06 to do some touring on. Like to add heated grips. Its an easy mod, and as long as the alternator can handle the draw, it can make a cold ride much more comfy. Twisted Throttle lists 4 amp draw on the ones they sell. Any idea on alternator output. I'd like to add an outlet for a vest as well &/or maybe hardwire a GPS. Thanks, Steve

Back