Coast to Coast Trip

Mobile Uploads Slideshow by crystal_diode | Photobucket
last forum i had done the write up on lost it so, here's the short version

cliff notes: I90 isnt the worst way to go across the country until you pass the badlands south dakota. then its boring. minnesota sucked, old pavement, very bumpy and seams every 10 feet for a few hours. a bird flew into me sitting on a hill there too. the north east is pretty but all about the same. maine has some delicious lobster. amish people are interesting. shenandoah valley was awesome to ride down. i need a month in the virginia/west virginia/north carolina/tennessee/kentucky area as theres thousands of miles of twisties there.

the dragon is overrated, cherahola skyway was the best road over there. made it up to portland maine then down to south carolina then headed back west. i need a month or two just on the east coast. smokey mountains were awesome. ozarks, loved em. giant storm kept me off the best road in arizona, 191, i shall return... wicked storm in flagstaff was the most intense storm i've ever been stuck in.

once it got dark, heading west in arizona to LA, it was over 100 degrees and insane. angeles crest loop was fun. 101/1 is fun as always up the west coast. saw fireflies/lightning bugs for the first time in teh south. those are cool.

had every animal under the sun run in front of me, at me, attack me, or be dead already in front of me including trash, tires, cars, trucks, semis, motorcycles, bikes, people, bums, anything you can imagine, came at me or was in my lane at one point in the trip in straights, corners, blind crests etc. i did run over a bunny. avoided everything else. lightning bugs are awesome. shocking when the explode on the visor as well. had to outrun some road ragers, that was entertaining. only 1 ticket the whole time luckily. oh yeah, rear window fell out and shattered on me from SUV on I5 up cali, hence the few bloody legs/arms pictures

turns out most camp sites close registration at dark and KOA's cost as much as cheap hotels usually, i did not plan that well but it all worked out.

pilot power 3 2ct front tire survived the whole trip. pp3 rear put on in chicago lasted the remaining 8500 miles of the trip. as far as street tires go, those were fantastic. held well in corners, not as aggressive as q3's but better than the pr3's. i'd get another set for sure.

there's a ton of stuff obviously missing here but all in all, good trip, murphy's law as in full effect literally every day, pretty much just laughed at everything. also, seat done by wykedan was amazing. never had a sore day until the trip between alabama and arkansas. that day was sore. then the last two days up the cali coast, kinda hurt a bit. not bad enough that i'm not still riding daily and did a track day yesterday. icon airmada bioskull helmet, fits great, never a sore spot, but it aint waterproof. water leaks in from either top of visor or vent of top of visor, not sure which but, it was annoying. riding in weather varying from 40 to 110 was challenging, i have some nice tan lines from the gloves, i rode for probably two weeks in t shirts and shorts. i woulda had the helmet off more but kept forgetting which state allowed it and which didnt so meh.

i planned every last detail but after day one, basically threw it out the window and kept it flexible, it was all fun, laughed at everything that went "wrong" cuz i mean, really, nothing was wrong, i wasnt at work, i was on my bike and riding cross country so, rain, this road, that road, whatever, it was a blast. i just wish i had more time to do more. sun rises, sun sets, views words cannot explain, were in every state, different, some same, but always breathtaking. ate a lotta good food, some bad, meh, was all better than protein bars that i normally kept eating.

bike held up well, no breakdowns. i killed the battery once but bump start and was off. had to loctite some of the bolts for the sidecase rack as they'd back out over time but havent moved since loctited. gear all held up well but then again, if it was over 75, my gear was a pair of shorts, shoes, gloves, helmet and a shirt of some kind.

now, to plan the next trip, USA V2, Alaska, or Panama Canal...where shall i ride next year

First off great pics, epic adventure! Second, what's the story with your moto in the hotel room? Third, did you use a camera on a lanyard hanging from neck or on tank bag for all the pics? Did you use a go pro? Also, glad it was a safe journey.

First off great pics, epic adventure! Second, what's the story with your moto in the hotel room? Third, did you use a camera on a lanyard hanging from neck or on tank bag for all the pics? Did you use a go pro? Also, glad it was a safe journey.

shady small towns, arrived too late to get a campground, cheap hotels were necessary a few times and well, it takes 15 minutes or so to unpack and repack everything so i was like, screw it, it's goin in with me tonight.

i did have a contour running off my helmet, i'm getting all those uploaded to youtube now but also editing them too.

i used my iphone for all my pics, left it in the top pocket of my tank bag, pop a glove off, snap the pics, easy peasy

old school, those were my favs too including this one

buddy road up the west coast with me so last 3 days wasn't solo
6A9E230F-E41E-4C52-872C-B9D436E77B76_zpsg9j83z7f-X2.jpg

I always stay in motels when I travel. I've never been a camping person and they're so cheap in the US anyway; it's nice to pay that little bit extra and enjoy a hot tub or swimming pool and big, comfy bed after riding 14 hours.

Looks like a whirlwind trip! I was hoping for updates along the way but you were back in what felt like no time at all

I always stay in motels when I travel. I've never been a camping person and they're so cheap in the US anyway; it's nice to pay that little bit extra and enjoy a hot tub or swimming pool and big, comfy bed after riding 14 hours.

Looks like a whirlwind trip! I was hoping for updates along the way but you were back in what felt like no time at all

too many forums to update if i did lol i updated facebook every few days but, i barely had to time to keep in touch with the person i was meeting that night let alone anyone else!

Pictures like the one above make me happy that I ve my own trip to the smokies coming in 3 months. Very nice!!

dude, smokies, i coulda spent another week there. make sure to hit 28 up fontana dam and cherahola skyway is a must, flat out must, it was almost my favorite road of the whole trip

When I see a picture like that I start scanning the tree lines for deer. Very nice !

saw hundreds of deer dead and alive, i got lucky, only a few ones were close, two or three within a dozen feet

Last edited:
I've been going to the smokies at least once a year since 2010. NC28 from 74 all the way to 129 is fantasticly smooth and sweeping bends and undulations with some tight technical stuff close to the dam. Cherohala is all forever long sweepers. I wore out a set of knee sliders the last time rode it on my SV650. Can't wait to get my new fizzy up there this year.

I hear ya :) I'm only active on this forum so I simply have to update Facebook and this place and that takes no time at all :)

i envy you. i'm super bored at work too often and am on way too many motorcycle forums

I've been going to the smokies at least once a year since 2010. NC28 from 74 all the way to 129 is fantasticly smooth and sweeping bends and undulations with some tight technical stuff close to the dam. Cherohala is all forever long sweepers. I wore out a set of knee sliders the last time rode it on my SV650. Can't wait to get my new fizzy up there this year.

thats awesome. and yeah i love it down there, i coulda spent a month there easily

Back