clutchless shifting

What's A Clutch?

I disengage the clutch most of the time but I'm a conservative rider and often accelerate modestly, at low throttle openings, and just slightly roll off the throttle as I push it to the next gear.

Silent, smooth and convenient. I realize and understand that the same procedure can be done under heavy throttle and high RPM's but that's not how I use it.

It works just as good now as it did 40 years ago.

I do it only when I rev it hard and only from 2nd to 3rd or a higher pair of gears, never out of first, and I try to not make it a habit. But it does seem to be a much smoother change, especially with the Mobil 1.

As a follow up my bike now has over 3000 miles on it and the shifting has improved considerably. I only have trouble with it "hanging" once in a great while now. Guess it needed some breaking in. Also found that my CRG shorty clutch lever and light two finger partial release - just enough to unload transmission - helps a lot in smoother shifting.

Been diving diesels for 10 years with only using the clutch to start off. Use the clutch on the bike the same way 90 percent of the time. Can even shift a manual car or pickup without a clutch. Do it most of the time without even thinking about it.

This is the type of thread that explains why I don't buy used bikes. Clutchless shifting is ok if you know how to do it, but most people don't have a clue and just mess things up for the next owner. No thank you.

Like some others here , apart from 1st and 2nd nearly all the time :rmwl:

Been diving diesels for 10 years with only using the clutch to start off. Use the clutch on the bike the same way 90 percent of the time. Can even shift a manual car or pickup without a clutch. Do it most of the time without even thinking about it.

Try not to shift the car or pickup w/o the clutch too much. I know it can be done, but really wears out the synchros faster. Car transmissions are not the same as the big diesel ones. Those are meant to be shifted w/o using the clutch once you take off...

You'd be suprised just what's inside a 18 speed roadranger , those synchro rings are nothing special , it's all in the 'close ratios' , like the bikes...

There seems a bit of paranoyia in some of the responses imo , i like the one "why i never buy secondhand" , , who cares , don't then ...

And i'll leave here with--
If you do not know how to
If you're no good at it
If you can't do it
If you're scared or just a woose

Then Don't!

:tup:

Try not to shift the car or pickup w/o the clutch too much. I know it can be done, but really wears out the synchros faster. Car transmissions are not the same as the big diesel ones. Those are meant to be shifted w/o using the clutch once you take off...

Yeah, said i can, when i do drive one though i do it some without even thinking of it. Deliver for lowes and we just got 2 automatic trucks, think i'm going to put a dent in the floor where the clutch pedal should be before i get used to them. Guess it boils down to muscle memory.

After 1st gear no clutch on the up shifts.Always use the clutch on the down shift.I will say the shift lever must be adjusted perfectly for smooth shifts.When I first bought my FZ my first few rides I would miss 2nd gear clutchless.Adjusted shift lever down about 3mm shifts great clutchless now.

When riding hard, which I always do 2nd gear and beyond is clutchless. I feel like I drop the clutch from 9k rpm too hard and get unstable, but a quick throttle drop and up shift feels great. I always clutch downshift though, unless I want that horrible doubling all the way down throgh gears.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Always been a clutch shifter up & down. Didn't use it once on my trumpy and got caught between gears not a nice sound but had the clutch in before i knew it..

I have done it and it seems to work real well.
When I bought my FZ1 - the previous owner had installed a CRG adjustable clutch lever. WOW! That makes a huge difference. Smoothest shifting I have ever done. When you set it on it's lowest setting - you barely pull back on the clutch lever and shift up or down. One of the best mods I have ever had on a bike IMO.

Back