clutchless shifting

Only if I am really pushing the bike to high RPMs for fast acceleration. Roll of the gas for an instant and shift, otherwise I pretty much use the clutch all the time.

Pretty much all the time. Usually not so much on down shifting however.

have you encountered any problems on your bike which have resulted from clutch less shifting, I'd imagine doing it would cause problems to the tranny or the drive train. I always use the clutch when I shift only because I don't want to damage the fz1's internals (what's worst is the fz1 doesn't have a cassette type gearbox.)

I'm thinking of clutchless shifting but I've heard it can damage the gear cogs in the transmission and is bad for the bike in the long run.

Last edited:
I always use the clutch unless it's an accidental miss on my part. You can get away with it for a time but over an extended period, the dogs in the shifter will start to get rounded off edges, which in the long run can result in problems of missed shifts and trans not wanting to stay in gear. I've experienced it in the past a long time ago, when I inspected the shifting dog you could see the edge that should have been square was rounded. Tranny work can get real expensive so if you don't have the time to use the clutch, I'd make time.

found an interesting article from Clutchless Shifting - Sport Rider Magazine Online about clutch less shifting, here's a quote:

"Though it's difficult for many to initially accept, upshifting without a clutch is in many ways simpler than the conventional pull-the-clutch-in-while-rolling-off-the-gas, shift-up,let-the-clutch-out-smoothly-while-rolling-back-on-the-gas method most of us grew up using. Instead, simply preload the shifter lightly, then quickly let off the throttle slightly and then back on and-presto-you're in the next gear. Done correctly, a clutchless upshift sounds and feels like that of an electric shifter, and no, it's not abusive to the transmission; countless years of the SR staff racing their personal bikes stand witness to this. The key qualifier here is the phrase "done correctly." Fortunately this is as easy to feel as it is to learn."

this guy says it will do the transmission no harm, but clearly says it must be done correctly. :confused0024:

I've ridden some identical bikes, where one was shifted with the clutch and the other never was... About the same number of miles. The clutch-less shifted one was like shifting through a bowl of jello...

I always use the clutch.

so today i tried to speedshift (no clutch) and found it was very easy to do except when changing from 1st to 2nd, for that change to be smooth I found that my rpm had to be 3000 or higher for the transition to be good. otherwise I love it, makes accelerating from traffic lights so much better. :sport12:

Cool man, yeah I do it sometimes too. (clutchless shifting) Works great usually.

One minor point; that is not called "Speedshifting." Speedshifting is when you don't let off the gas at all, fan the clutch and shift very fast before the revs rise much at all. (car or motorcycle either one)

I have a new '09 with 1000 miles and Mobil 4T since the first oil change at 600 miles. I am having intermittent problems with clunky shifting usually after its been ridden 30-40 miles. The shifter resists travel past what feels like half the shift. When I let the clutch back out it finishes the shift itself. Very inconsistent and usually in lower gears.

Just to see what would happen I tried clutchless upshifting today. The shifts were noticeably smoother and more positive than when using the clutch. No problem with shift effort or engagement. I have read on some forums about many riders who swear by clutchless shifting.

Any thoughts or suggestions for my situation?

Before coming to that conclusion, I would make sure the chain slack is within specs. With it, the bike shifts flawlessly..

Also adjust the cable tightness at the lever to make sure its not grabbing and spinning the rear wheel when in neutral.

Thanks CrazyBiker. I just checked chain last weekend- right at 30mm (Spec is 25-35mm). Cable was checked and clutch appears to be fully releasing. What's puzzling is that it usually only shows up after everything is plenty warm, but is still inconsistent. I'll check cable adjustment again after my next 30 mile ride to get it good and warm. Interestingly, I initially had the same problem with downshifting, but that one went away after the oil change. Maybe I just need some more break in miles...

I have a new '09 with 1000 miles and Mobil 4T since the first oil change at 600 miles. I am having intermittent problems with clunky shifting usually after its been ridden 30-40 miles. The shifter resists travel past what feels like half the shift. When I let the clutch back out it finishes the shift itself. Very inconsistent and usually in lower gears.

Just to see what would happen I tried clutchless upshifting today. The shifts were noticeably smoother and more positive than when using the clutch. No problem with shift effort or engagement. I have read on some forums about many riders who swear by clutchless shifting.

Any thoughts or suggestions for my situation?

Clutchless shifting works great; just preload the shift level, blip the throttle and nail it.

How's the slack in you clutch cable? Being that the bike is "new" the cable has probably stretched and the slack needs to be taken out.

I hardly ever use the clutch on upshifts, unless my chain is too tight, in which case i'll run home and loosen it off right quick. it's so much smoother and faster. Maybe in traffic...

The suspension is sooo much better with a loose chain. I don't get booted out of the seat on nadgery roads.

Had the suspension set up by some pro's out here and their suggestion is 'if you think the chain is too loose, it's probably too tight!'..

Back