Clutch/Transmission Trouble?

Hello all!

I've lurked for a while but this is my first post! Sorry for one of the more common threads on any given motorcycle forum but dammit I just wanna ride! I picked up my first FZ1, a 2003 with a little over 5k miles, a couple months ago. The bike looked good and the price seemed fair so I pulled the trigger. Unfortunately, soon after buying the bike, I noticed trouble shifting beginning to develop. It started as shifts occasionally being "clunky" to more frequently, catching neutral between 1st and 2nd before clicking into second, and I've even found a false neutral between 5th and 6th a couple times.

From reading through other threads about shifting issues, I've changed the oil, adjusted and lubed the chain, lubed and adjusted the clutch cable but with no luck. I've noticed that when I disengage the clutch, the lever doesn't return to it's full closed position... it kinda just hangs right just before the friction zone, so I wondered if this could cause my problem. As far as I understand, the spring on the clutch release lever is what puts tension on the cable so I tried replacing that but it didn't seem to do anything. I figure next I'll buy a new cable before I crack anything open but I was gonna see what you guys thought... Finding the false neutral has me worried it could be the transmission :(

I appreciate any suggestions y'all could make and apologize if my explanation was confusing. I'm new to mechanics!

**I shoulda put this in the garage/mechanics forum, my bad**

Last edited:
I just serviced my clutch. If you open her up, check the pull lever and rod. Also Measure the 6 clutch springs on the pressure plate. The service manual states the free length is 50mm, with a limit of 47.5mm. If your springs are out of spec like mine were they need to be replaced.
DO NOT follow the torque settings in the Clymer manual. Clymer stated 70lbs of ft torque on the clutch spring bolts. This will snap them in half. They are actually 5.9ft lbs... The clutch boss nut is 51.6 ft lbs..
A gasket is cheep and inspection is dependent on your free time. If the clutch, cable and other adjustments are good I would then trouble shoot the transmission. Start simple and go from there.
Good luck.

Back