Clutch not activating? :O

Sevinsky

Hey everyone, long time no see.

I have been having some problems with my clutch. It does not fully engage which obviously is causing problems. I am not sure if it is because of the cable being too long or some other problem?? I have never had this happen before and if it is a problem with the cable being too long could anyone tell me how to shorten it? I pull the lever and the clutch engages a small amount, yet not enough to release from the gears which makes shifting up or down a very complex task as I have to wait until RPMS get high or low enough. Also, starting and stopping is very difficult, the clutch is engaged just enough that if i stop in first gear I can without the bike shutting down, I also can not enter into neutral when the bike is running.
When at a stop, if I do not hold in the front brake, the bike just wants to go, I do not enough need any gas on it, it will go by itself.

Could anyone help me with this problem?

-Kiera

Have you adjusted the the cable at the lever or at the clutch cover. Both should give you more pull. You can also try contacting motion pro and see if they have a shorter cable. Did you put clip ons on?

There is a barrel adjuster on the clutch lever. Turn it out a little. You should have what is called free play. It is the amount the lever moves before it begins to disengage the clutch. About 3 mm of movement is ideal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeah that happens. Usually 100+ miles from home..
the accelerated stretching you described is one of the only warnings you'll get. an occasional tap, or popping feeling in the lever is the last warning you'll get as the individual strands begin to brake. I'm on my fourth clutch cable (in 130,000 miles) , and usually carry a spare under the seat. one cable lasted 90,000 miles, but 2 failed in about 10,000 miles each.

Last edited:
stretch, if I were to buy a new cable, how hard would it be so replace the old one? AND, what kind of cable would you suggest? I have an 07' fz1

stretch, if I were to buy a new cable, how hard would it be so replace the old one? AND, what kind of cable would you suggest? I have an 07' fz1

I would buy a factory Yamaha cable, try some online yamaha parts dealers for the best prices. Parts shark or sports plaza yamaha are 2 of many places to check.

The cable has 3 adjustment places, top at the lever, bottom at the clutch cover and also a adjuster in the middle under the tank/airbox.

Most people only use the top and bottom adjusters and go to the middle when the cable has severely stretched.

THE FOLLOWING IS ONLY IF YOU HAVE A AFTERMARKET CLUTCH LEVER :

If you use a aftermarket adjustable clutch LEVER , be careful adjusting it to close to the bars. When the lever is too close to the bars the length of the stroke is shortened and may not give you enough to disengage the clutch. My GRG levers are useless in position 1 and 2 but fine in 3,4,5.

Back