clutch cable adjustment

silentg

ok, so i have looked thro the forum but the problem i am having is the opposite to most.

i have rizoma fat bars and smaller risers which i think may be where my problem lays. shorter bars, longer cable etc.

last week i changed the clutch cable and adjusted at the engine side as much as i could but it seems the cable is too damn long for my liking.

i adjusted this as much as i dare to where it was almost at the end of the thread.
Bn8Lq4B.jpg

although this is not my actual bar adjustment i am using it for image purposes.
mine is almost the that far out to get the proper adjustment for the cable to engage. as you can imagine there is hardly any room for further adjustment

5rugNRh.jpg

is there anything else i can do to shorten the cable so im not almost at the end of adjustment engine and bar wise?

On the engine side where the end of the cable attaches to the lever... the lever has an arrow head marker on it, and the engine has a mark as well. With the clutch lever not pulled, do those two marks line up? If they don't, move both adjustments all the way in, align the marks and try adjusting again.

If they are aligned, then you might have clutch discs/plates worn to the point of replacement. Not too expensive and a medium level job to replace.

had a look. one has an arrow, the other is just a dot in the metal. pretty much in line with each other.

my bike is a 2008 model, tbh im not too sure how long clutch plates last for. i was kind of hoping the renewal of the clutch cable would be a good thing. the only reason i had to change it in te first place was it started fraying a little lever end. apart from that it was fine. still plenty of adjustment i mean :)

QfRadWp.jpg

Last edited:
had a look. one has an arrow, the other is just a dot in the metal. pretty much in line with each other.

my bike is a 2008 model, tbh im not too sure how long clutch plates last for. i was kind of hoping the renewal of the clutch cable would be a good thing. the only reason i had to change it in te first place was it started fraying a little lever end. apart from that it was fine. still plenty of adjustment i mean :)

QfRadWp.jpg

I'm thinking that maybe they sent you the wrong cable. You'd only need to have a 1/2" difference in the physical cable length to be out of adjustment and from the looks of the photos, it seems that maybe it's just a bit too long from end to end of the lead terminals. Just a thought.

I agree with Billy. I think that since these are aligned, the cable is not correct. Like you stated, you had good clutch and adjustment left with the damaged cable.

Too bad you didn't compare the lengths of the old vs the new to see if the lengths were different. You may have to pull the cable off to see if it is too long. A hassle for sure.

weird thing is, I did compare and the frayed one was slightly longer, but only slightly. do you know where it clips onto the plastic holder on left side close to frame, is the metal stud supposed to be IN the clip or to either side? I cant remember tbh. at the moment it is to the front. dunno if that makes a difference.
if you're not sure where I mean I will upload a pic when I get home

weird thing is, I did compare and the frayed one was slightly longer, but only slightly. do you know where it clips onto the plastic holder on left side close to frame, is the metal stud supposed to be IN the clip or to either side? I cant remember tbh. at the moment it is to the front. dunno if that makes a difference.
if you're not sure where I mean I will upload a pic when I get home

I'd have to look at mine but it's not with me today.

Back