Clucth problem? Or Chain?

waldo877

So the chain-slack is properly adjusted, and lubed. The only way I can describe this feeling, is like when on a dirtbike you're in too high a gear.

This happens in first and second mostly, when leaving a stop. Very loud grinding/clanking noise. I don't feel anything really. Maybe I need a possible new sprocket set? What would cause this?

The first thing I'd do is check both sprockets to make sure that are tight (fastened correctly). If the countershaft sprocket is loose, it can make some nasty sounds but so can the rear if it has loosened up. How many miles do you have on the bike? Is is possible that it could be clutch related but if there is no slipping or grabing or any other action I doubt it.

Have you recently swapped to. 16 tooth in the front or something? I would verify that the safety washer is in place on the front sprocket and that its tight.
How old is your chain?
You can make clutch adjustments easy enough yourself and make sure it's in spec, is it clunking as you take off? Or when you shift it into first?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the quick responses guys.

1. The bike has about 22k miles.

2. I can only assume its the original chain and sprockets as i got the bike 1k miles ago.

3. Haven't checked the front sprocket closely. (Gotta figure out the easiest way to get that cover off)

4. Clutch shudders a bit on take-off, but I don't hear anything rattling. Mainly the noise happens in 1st and second, and it seems to be a low speed thing. Happens in 2nd as well, just not as pronounced. Imagine a soda can being crushed between the chain and sprocket. Thats what it sounds like. My big fear is that its coming from inside the gearbox...but I just don't know what could make a sound like that and me not feel anything.

The little bolts holding the front sprocket cover had been installed with red Locktite on mine. I had to heat the bolt with a tiny little torch in order to break the bond. It destroyed the bolt anyway...

Back