Clicking equals BADDD!

FZ1fun

I have a 2001 FZ1 with just over 22,000 miles on it, 500 of which I've added over the last two weeks. The issue that concerns me is I hear a light clicking coming from the motor. It sounds like rockers but I'm not sure. Anytime I think car motor and clicking I think crap but is it different for these motors? I would have thought the loud thud going into first was a problem if it wasn't for this forum, please tell me I don't need to worry :banghead:

it might be getting towards time for a valve adjustment... which normally isn't until 26,000 ... but depending on how it's been treated previously in its life.... you never know.... go through the basics... make sure it's got plenty of oil and everything (motor mount bolts mainly) is tight...

it might be getting towards time for a valve adjustment... which normally isn't until 26,000 ... but depending on how it's been treated previously in its life.... you never know.... go through the basics... make sure it's got plenty of oil and everything (motor mount bolts mainly) is tight...

How difficult is it to do a valve adjustment? I will check to make sure everything is secured tomorrow, as well as try to track down where exactly the clicking is coming from.

it's... ehhh..... interesting to do a valve adjustment... you've got to have a narrow set of feeler gauges... and you don't know what shims you'll need until you get it all ripped apart... sometimes, you can take shims from the exhaust side and put them on the intake side.... sometimes, you need new shims all together... the best option is to buy a shim "kit" that is basically just a big box of assorted shims...

with a shop manual... it's easily doable over the course of a weekend... as long as you have a box of shims standing by... it's a good time to do some other things... like remove AIS...

it's... ehhh..... interesting to do a valve adjustment... you've got to have a narrow set of feeler gauges... and you don't know what shims you'll need until you get it all ripped apart... sometimes, you can take shims from the exhaust side and put them on the intake side.... sometimes, you need new shims all together... the best option is to buy a shim "kit" that is basically just a big box of assorted shims...

with a shop manual... it's easily doable over the course of a weekend... as long as you have a box of shims standing by... it's a good time to do some other things... like remove AIS...

AIS, air induction system?? Does this have anything to do with the airbox mod or is it a completly seperate beast? I have the steel flat washers kit from radio shack to shim the carb needles, would this work?

AIS is a different animal from anything intake / carb related... it's all about unburned gas re-entering the exhaust... and you don't need to purchase any kind of "kit" for the AIS removal either... just a hardened steel tap and a few allen head screws...

airbox mod is 1" hole in top of lid + remove 1/2 of the snorkel.

shimming the needles is part of jetting... as is modding the airbox... so... don't just do part of any of these last few things... AIS is no big deal... do that whenever you want.. it doesn't affect anything besides popping on decel and ease of getting to the spark plugs.... but you can't mod the airbox and say "I'll get to jetting later" ... it don't work that way... add porting the intake boots to the list as well.

Thanks VA that helps a lot, speaking of the intake boots I thought someone on here mentioned that this was a cheap mod but everywhere I look has them shown at $20 or more a piece. Any ideas on where to find some cheap ones? I was also going to take this opportunity to change the carb to intake boots as well. They are much cheaper than the others and I was told that they can get fairly brittle as well. I don't want to have to worry about pulling the carbs and breaking one of these boots. Then I'm done riding till the replacements come in.

Modding the intake boots is cheap... heck.. it's free... unless you want to replace the boots... then.. it's the cost of the boots...

Speaking of which... in the post above, it almost seems like you're talking about more than one type of boot... there's only one real boot that we're concerned with here... and that's the intake boot... which goes between the carb and the intake manifold.. .. on the airbox side... there's nothing you can do with those... unless you wanted to change to pod filters... which I did... wasn't a fan of... and went back to the big ol airbox.

I think there were a few GenIIs for sale around here! ;) Can you tell exactly where it is coming from? Upper or lower?

While I'm not ready to switch to Gen II yet it sounds like the noise is coming from the top of the motor. The clicking is most dominant on the right side but can be heard fairly easy from both.

Speaking of which... in the post above, it almost seems like you're talking about more than one type of boot... there's only one real boot that we're concerned with here... and that's the intake boot... which goes between the carb and the intake manifold.. .. on the airbox side... there's nothing you can do with those... unless you wanted to change to pod filters... which I did... wasn't a fan of... and went back to the big ol airbox.

Based on the OEM websites for replacment parts there are two seperate boots, two of one type for the outside and two of the other type on the inside. Same basic boots but different part numbers. I was also told by one of my co-workers that the intake to carb boots get brittle as well and can break if your not careful during carb removal, that's why I was planning on replacing them plus they are cheap. Another piece of advice he gave me was to check the tensioner for the cam chain. It sounds like a good idea to me, what do you guys think.

Last edited:
Back