Cleaning the chain...

dodger06

So I did my first Chain Clean/Lube today and ran into some questions.

1. Should the chain be warm before you clean it?
2. If you are washing the whole bike, do you clean the chain first or after the rest of the bike? (lube is of course after)
3. If you live on a gravel road, what is a safe way to get the chain warmed up to put the lube on?
4. What is proper chain tension?

I ended up cleaning it about 30 min after a 45 min ride, kinda washed the chain with the bike (sprayed some degreaser on before and powerwashed, then brushed with kerosene after), and rode slowly for about 1/2 mile, then idled it on the center stand for a while.

As far as chain tension goes, I noticed the chain hops around a lot when I idled it on the center stand, almost like the chain is too loose and wrapping too far around the front sprocket. It was looked over before I bought it used from the dealership about 2 months ago, but I did recently change the ride height of the bike (it was lowered 2", now is back to stock). Do you typically have to adjust the chain after changing ride height?

Hi Dodger,

I would like to offer a suggestion.
I AM NOT pushing this brand. In fact I just googled "Motorcycle chain brush" and found numerous results. I bought mine off Ebay for $5 so don't break the bank. I strongly recommend a brush to help clean the chain. It has been very effective in helping me with mine so I would like to throw out a suggestion for you to consider.
Best of luck with a dirty job!
:cheers:

Chain adjustment

It has been my experience that normal ride height adjustments done with the rear shock do not require chain adjustment. However, in your case you said you "put it back to stock" from a previous lowering. That could mean your chain will need adjustment, and as you are on the gen 1 side I am assuming you have a 1st gen fz even though your username is dodger06.

Here is a great link for how to do it the right way:

www.angelfire.com/ia/z/FZ1chain.

A change of that much in ride height would probably have required a major chain adjustment.

It's best not to use a high pressure washer of any kind on the bike ANYWHERE. They can drive water into places where you don't want it trapped, like behind the O-rings in the chain and any electrical plugs. Use a fine brush of what ever kind you can get Hold of ( I use a Ketten Max), then brush it clean with Kerosene, let it dry and apply a good chain lube. If you get a wax type like Maxima, it won't fling off and will be good for the recommended 600 miles. If you don't have a user's manual for the easy stuff, get one, If you don't have a repair manual for the tuff stuff get one of those too if you plan on doing your own maintenance.

Thanks for all the input.

It's best not to use a high pressure washer of any kind on the bike ANYWHERE. They can drive water into places where you don't want it trapped, like behind the O-rings in the chain and any electrical plugs. Use a fine brush of what ever kind you can get Hold of ( I use a Ketten Max), then brush it clean with Kerosene, let it dry and apply a good chain lube. If you get a wax type like Maxima, it won't fling off and will be good for the recommended 600 miles. If you don't have a user's manual for the easy stuff, get one, If you don't have a repair manual for the tuff stuff get one of those too if you plan on doing your own maintenance.

I was a little hesitant about using a power washer. It's not an extremely high pressure one, and I usually spray it from about 3 feet back, so the water isn't traveling at too high of pressure. I basically use it to get the bike wet, then I scrub it down with soap, then I use the power washer to wash the soap off. As far as the lube goes, I'm using PJ1 Blue Label, it's what the local shop had on hand and recommended. Anyone have experience with this brand?

Don't currently have a repair manual (going to buy one soon though), and it didn't come with an owners manual. I did get a PDF version of that though.

It has been my experience that normal ride height adjustments done with the rear shock do not require chain adjustment. However, in your case you said you "put it back to stock" from a previous lowering. That could mean your chain will need adjustment, and as you are on the gen 1 side I am assuming you have a 1st gen fz even though your username is dodger06.

Here is a great link for how to do it the right way:

www.angelfire.com/ia/z/FZ1chain.

A change of that much in ride height would probably have required a major chain adjustment.

Yeah, it's an 03 Gen 1, my username actually refers to the year I graduated High School. It had a lowering link kit on it and was lowered 2" when I bought it. Though when we took it apart to set it back to stock, you could see that it was at 4" lower than stock at one point. I'll need to look into chain tension then. Didn't think much about it until watching it idling on the center stand.

Back