cleaning/restoring color to plastic on bike

RavenFZ1

I was filling the tank on my FZ last night and a bit of fuel splashed down the side of the tank. After arriving home I noticed that the plastic piece just below the gas tank was discolored from the gas. Does anybody know of a good product to restore the color to this piece of plastic, or is it trashed now because of a little splash of gas?

Try Meguires "PlastiX" wax. It should do the trick. The other alternative is "Back to Black" by Mothers. Either one should fix up the look of the plastic.

Does that also work for light scratches? I scratched the tail with my luggage.
when theres a light coat of turtle wax ice on it you can barely see it,
but when its dried up you can... its not the paint that scratched just the ehh whats it called, the outer protective layer :p

Does that also work for light scratches? I scratched the tail with my luggage.
when theres a light coat of turtle wax ice on it you can barely see it,
but when its dried up you can... its not the paint that scratched just the ehh whats it called, the outer protective layer :p

The products mentioned by oldschool are for polishing bare plastic. For your damaged clearcoat you will want a different product.

know any? :unworthy:

Just about all wax companies, like Mothers and Mequires make "scratch removers" that will minimize the white edges of the scratch on the clear coat. These products work by using a fine abrasive to smooth out the hard "edge" of the scratch making it less noticeable. Just follow the directions on the lable and do it several times. I use Mothers scratch remover on my helmets to get rid of the fine scuffs that helmets, especially black ones always get.

http://www.mothers.com/02_products/02_products_01_line.html

Last edited:
I picked up some "Back to Black" on my lunch break. They also had plastix, but plastix was advised for use on clear plastic such as headlights and the back to black works well on black (or any color) plastics (the probably would both work, but I went with the one that said it was for black plastic). I'll try it out when i get home from work, thanks Oldschool!

I had a detail biz in the past. One thing to you can do is purchase a kit, like the one from (If I remember correctly) Maguires, a chip/scratch paint repair kit. It wil come with a small hook&loop backing pad that you install on your variable speed drill, and three different pads to do the work with. One is a corse waffle pad, the other is a fine waffle pad, and lastly a wool bonnet. Basically it's 1) rubbing compound with the wool bonnet 2) polish with the corse pad 3) final polish/wax with the fine waffle pad. Be carefull about the speed you use and make sure not to burn the paint. This is no "exact" process to getting the final result, as I can't see it in person, but it will get you on the right track just take your time. A benefit of this kit is that the fine pad makes a great way to apply wax after washes, very nice shine so don't look at it as a one-use investment. the kit includes other stuff for actual chip repair, again maybe usefull down the road. Hopefully you can restore it without having to do any wet sanding which is a pita. Hth.

Back