Clean Oxidized Headlights with Toothpaste

I thought it was a myth................... :sport12:

Well if this really does work it will save about $20. Toothpaste with granuals seems to work best.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lZ96BXoT10]Headlight Lens Restore using Toothpaste! - YouTube[/ame]

It all works. I've actually used a non-stick cooking spray to do it. Worked just fine.. lasted about a year before headlights glazed over again.

My car's headlights were awfully oxidized when I first got it. I picked up one of those Sylvania headlight restoration kits at Pepboys and followed the instructions.

Basically,
1. Tape off surrounding area
2. Spray activator on to loosen the oxidization.
3. Wetsand both headlights with 400, 1000, 2000 grit (or so) sandpaper
4. Polish headlights
5. Spray activator on again
6. Clean lenses
7. Apply clear coat

And they're not supposed to oxidize again because of the UV-resistant clear coat. I'm pretty happy with it, they turned out like glass. I don't have any pictures before the process, but I doubt the toothbrush process would've saved them.

68467_551073401569740_1744695673_n.jpg

I'm sure toothpaste works, as it was obviously documented by the DIY'er in the OP.
I've had to do the light restoration a few cars, and it works good for the most part. It seemed to last about a year on my Expedition, but then it sits outside in the sun just about every day...and I don't care for her as much as I once did.

Something to do is to actually put sealant (Zaino, ftw) on the lights when you apply sealant to the vehicles paint. It keeps the elements from getting into the surface, and breaking down the plastic. Keeping your vehicles out of direct sunlight is also important for the longevity of the light arrays.

Back