Chromex Wheels?

I hate the Greenish "baby sheit" gold color of my 2009's wheels and need to change ASAP. Will be powder coating them as a local shop has quoted me a great price for the pair. But I am torn on what color will match up with the Cobalt Blue.

Everybody has black or gold, so was thinking of something a bit different. There is a shiny "Chromex" finish that he has and he has offered to do a clear coat over the top too. How do you guys think that would look? Too H-D? Any good photoshoppers out there that could help me out with a mock up?

I hate the Greenish "baby sheit" gold color of my 2009's wheels and need to change ASAP. Will be powder coating them as a local shop has quoted me a great price for the pair. But I am torn on what color will match up with the Cobalt Blue.

Everybody has black or gold, so was thinking of something a bit different. There is a shiny "Chromex" finish that he has and he has offered to do a clear coat over the top too. How do you guys think that would look? Too H-D? Any good photoshoppers out there that could help me out with a mock up?

Do a black chrome. That would look good with the blue.

Yea, I saw a bike the other day with some black chrome wheels and it looked very good. The rest of the bike was silver so it went well together, but should still work fine with the blue.

I am thinking I may do something like that when I powder coat mine later this year. I want something that almost looks like a black pearl. You know what I mean? I will do my rider and passenger pegs and mounts the same. I think it would look good on the granite gray '09

I am thinking I may do something like that when I powder coat mine later this year. I want something that almost looks like a black pearl. You know what I mean? I will do my rider and passenger pegs and mounts the same. I think it would look good on the granite gray '09

Yes, the black chrome would look relly good with your granite gray. The two colors definitely complement each other. See attached pics ;)

Last edited:
I have canged the color wheel on my cruiser to chrome and plan on doing the same on my FZ, along with changing my FZ from black to Vivid Orange (hate black). Just have to wait until winter, there is no way I will put her down for 3 weeks for wheels + another week or so to get painted. Heck I've only had the thing for 2 months. Black chrome wheels is a good option too, wonder how that'll look with Yamaha's Vivid orange

I have canged the color wheel on my cruiser to chrome and plan on doing the same on my FZ, along with changing my FZ from black to Vivid Orange (hate black). Just have to wait until winter, there is no way I will put her down for 3 weeks for wheels + another week or so to get painted. Heck I've only had the thing for 2 months. Black chrome wheels is a good option too, wonder how that'll look with Yamaha's Vivid orange

Black Chrome goes with anything. I have always liked "Hotrod Orange", My wife hates it and calls it Rust. So my next car will be that colour for sure!:box:

Yea, I saw a bike the other day with some black chrome wheels and it looked very good. The rest of the bike was silver so it went well together, but should still work fine with the blue.

Ah yes, black chrome would look pretty sweet and you don't see too many bikes with that. Might as well go the whole way and do the pillion pegs and shift/rear brake brackets as well. Thanks for the suggestion! Anything is better than that weird gold. Where did Yamaha dig up that crap? Must have gotten a good deal on bulk paint that nobody wanted (I can see why).

Anything is better than that weird gold. Where did Yamaha dig up that crap? Must have gotten a good deal on bulk paint that nobody wanted (I can see why).

You're right because even after seeing it person I didn't care for that '09 wheel color. Personally the '08 gold looks good and the '06-07 black is not bad either ;)

Yeah, mine reminds me of some kind of pea soup. The greenish tint is terrible, especially with Cobalt blue. Soon as I get new tires I will do something to correct this. Keep the great ideas coming guys!

Back