Choosing rearsets......

Mate i did a thread on the Ottimoto rearsets, search it and there are pics.

Think ottimoto is pretty nice. Could save a few bux going that route too. Pretty light compared to stock, eh?

I notice that they also run through the frame like stock, very clean. I wil go this route. When I can find a few $$$ laying around.

Last edited:
I'm very happy with my Rizomas. Very high quality, excellent adjustability, work great.

I bought mine from PJ's Parts. Being that you're in Europe you probably don't want to buy them from a shop in the US.

are you getting any rusts on the gear shifter con-rods? I am getting some rusty, which I believe could be due to manufacturing defects..

are they as bad as this?

brake side is OK:

37212_447832900953_644375953_5535446_3874922_n.jpg

now take a look at the gear shifter side..

75052_447832590953_644375953_5535437_5811092_n.jpg

I always wondered why a company that makes such beautiful aluminum pieces would use lesser quality stainless for these fittings. I have had the same thing happen with truck parts, where one or two mild steel bolts were used with a stainless unit. The mild steel rusted very quickly, staining the rest of the parts. Send pictures to the manufacturer. They might care that these pictures on the internet are tarnishing their reputation (pun intended).

Really though, a rag with metal polish will clean that off and leave a coating of wax behind that will prevent more rust for a few washes before it needs to be done again.

Last edited:
almost purchased the trw ones they do look nice a set of giles just came on ebay £100 cheaper than the trw so have got them coming will post pics when fitted.

Last edited:
almost purchased the trw ones they do look the nice a set of giles just came on ebay £100 cheaper than the trw so have got them coming will post pics when fitted.

The Gilles stuff is nice, good find. You may have trouble with the instructions unless you read German.

are they as bad as this?

brake side is OK:

37212_447832900953_644375953_5535446_3874922_n.jpg

now take a look at the gear shifter side..

75052_447832590953_644375953_5535437_5811092_n.jpg

No, mine have small spots. Once I get moved I'd dress them with steel wool, and then put some petroleum jelly on them.

BTW...you can remove the spacers from the brake side. I'm going to play with the shift side and see if I can remove the spacers from that side too.

No, mine have small spots. Once I get moved I'd dress them with steel wool, and then put some petroleum jelly on them.

BTW...you can remove the spacers from the brake side. I'm going to play with the shift side and see if I can remove the spacers from that side too.

perhaps you would like to take some photos?

and which spacers are you referring to? i'm pretty lost over on the spacers part..

Nice looking rearsets. Hey by the way where did you get that seat cowl and your oil filler cap?

Notice that he has no grab handles in the back so he has the tail section from the FZ1N. That seat cowl wont fit the US FZ1 unless you change the rest of the tail section as well. As for that oil filler cap I've seen the same one on eBay.

hi, the rear came of the fz1n i only ride solo so no need for a big back end,costly job to do but worth it, and yes ebay for the oil filler cap nice little touch.

I found after putting the giles rear sets on, that yamaha had it right all along, factory units are rubber mounted and with rubber inserts on the pegs. Really cuts the felt vibrations to the feet and legs at highway+ speeds. I loved the look of the rear sets and the feel of my feet farther back. But on long rides it will take a toll on you. If it ant broke don't fix it!

Back