Cheap rear Shock Fixes

So I have seen all the options for a new rear shock with more adjustablility than I need, but I can not afford them.

I'm debating on a stiffer rear spring for the stock shock, or trying to find a cheap R1 shock and go that route, however, I would still need to find a stiffer rear spring for that option too.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to finding a stiffer spring for the stock rear shock? I checked Racetech's website, but they don't seem to have a spring rate stiff enough as suggested by their calculator..

where can I find a stiffer rear spring?

My Nitron Sport NTR rear shock was around $600 delivered from the UK and it only has rebound adjustment and height adjustment (which is very handy as an additional 5mm of rear ride height assists turn in and rear tyre hook up).
It's a quality bit of gear and is more than good enough for street riding.
It's not as cheap as a new rear spring but it's not too expensive.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to finding a stiffer spring for the stock rear shock? I checked Racetech's website, but they don't seem to have a spring rate stiff enough as suggested by their calculator..

where can I find a stiffer rear spring?

How much stiffer are you needing than what RaceTech has available?

I was in the same boat as you with my FZ1 (Gen 1). I replaced front and rear springs with RaceTech bits spec'd to my weight and touring capacity and had both the forks and rear shock serviced--what a difference. It was much cheaper than a replacement shock and was a hell of an improvement.

For my Gen2

According to Racetech's website,

stock = 12kg/mm

racetech recommends 15kg/mm

Actual stiffest available = 11.6kg/mm

I'll check the EIbach website... see what I can find..

For my Gen2

According to Racetech's website,

stock = 12kg/mm

racetech recommends 15kg/mm

Actual stiffest available = 11.6kg/mm

I'll check the EIbach website... see what I can find..

You probably won't find it on their website, just call Racetech, the technicians or sales folk have access to more complete lists of rates and the ability to get custom rates (if needed) from Eibach for you.

If you go to Eibach directly, they'll probably only point you to their automobile springs, you won't find anything for custom motorcycle springs/rates.

Check for a used '06 shock with the 700# spring or check Hyperpro. I know they have a spring. Unfortunately, it won't fix the fact that it does not have enough compression damping, but will help the handling.

Back