Charging system question...

kgc1911

Is it possible to put a better charging system in my gen 1?

I have after-market LED handguard lights, hand grip warmers, and My voltage light drops into yellow then into red at idle, I have a cut off switch to shut off one headlight and if i flick one off it goes green....Could my battery be the issue or could a buy a better charging system the gen two has 560+watts at 5K, how come I don't have that much?...Can I install a gen 2 generator in my gen1?

What do I do?

Well your alternator may need an overhaul as it sounds like it's not putting out enough amps. But the Gen I alternator doesn't have as much capacity as the Gen II alternator.
Your hand grip warmers would draw a fair bit of current so that may be why.
Best thing you can do is take it to an auto electrician and have the bike checked first. That way they can tell you whats wrong.
It wont be the battery. If it was you would have problems starting.
With it being a problem on idle, it sounds like a fault, not a lack of capacity. Because if you were just over drawing the system it would be a problem at any rev range.

Last edited:
Normal for the charging system to not keep up at idle with all those accessories.
You could have an alternator twice as powerful as the one you have now......neither is going to have enough output at idle :)
If your not having other issues like failure to start I would just continue to shut off the one headlight during extended idling.

Normal for the charging system to not keep up at idle with all those accessories.
You could have an alternator twice as powerful as the one you have now......neither is going to have enough output at idle :)
If your not having other issues like failure to start I would just continue to shut off the one headlight during extended idling.

Agree with this.

Higher Rpm's will produce more current - but the gen I is not an electrical powerhouse. There is no reasonable way to increase output.
Managing how you use what power you have will keep you out of trouble.

Back