Charging...Normal or not?

Hey guys, first off, I have done as much research as possible, for days in fact searching here and other sites to determine if my charging system is ok or not. I have a 2002 fz1 with 40k. I had no problems however when I recently installed my multigauge and was comparing the voltage differences between gauge and actual voltage (which I am fixing now with eskorts fix) I noticed a very low charging voltage. These are my findings please let me know if you have found similar. These are taken at battery

Fully charged battery 12.8v
key on w/ headlights on 12.3v
Idling w/headlights on 13.0v-13.4v
5k with headlights on 13.0v-13.4v

Now when I pull the headlight fuse I get
idling w/o headlight 14.0v
5k w/o headlight 14.1v-14.2v

Is this normal? should charging system be able to keep at 14v with headlights on? BTW i checked and have 60/55w bulbs.
Thanks for any help

Last edited:
so.... You're curious if that's normal? Your battery gets charged when the bike is on... I'd also check current. But unless you're seeing an issue with dim lights or something I'd not worry about it.

Sent from my HTC Evo 3D

Well, everyone just keeps preaching 14v at 5k and I never see that unless I pull the fuse for my headlights. I am just trying to catch a potential problem before it leaves me stranded if thats the case

I'll be honest, I know nothing about the charging system of the gen 1. I have an 01 myself with a three year old battery I'm sure well show signs of needing replacement soon.

But I've been doing electronic repair and maintenance for about 6 years and that voltage doesn't sound out of the ordinary. Someone else with experience can chime in.

Sent from my HTC Evo 3D

I Checked and am getting around 80-85 out of each coil from stator.
This is the weird part.If Back probe the white connector under the tank while idling I am getting 14.0 at idle but 12.9 at the battery. Seems between the harness side of the connector to the battery I am losing over a volt somewhere.

So, you're searching for a problem that doesn't exist yet? It brings the voltage back to the proper voltage, right? It seems to me that you are chasing a non-existent issue. Can you say "wild goose chase"?

If it ain't broke... put it all back together, and right that mutha!

I Checked and am getting around 80-85 out of each coil from stator.
This is the weird part.If Back probe the white connector under the tank while idling I am getting 14.0 at idle but 12.9 at the battery. Seems between the harness side of the connector to the battery I am losing over a volt somewhere.

This is a major issue with gen-1 vmax, the culprit was the -ve from the RR doesn't ground properly, on the FZ its not quite a problem but some times it shows up, here is a good post on the subject for the FZ.

Charging system/RR/white connector fix - FZ1OA Message Board

Last edited:
Hi guys im having trouble right now i went for a ride and the moment km trying to restart the bike it act like a dead battery but when boosted thé bike start good.im worry about the stator because if dits a worn out battery during thé ride it will be charged but its not.

Envoyé de mon GT-I9100 en utilisant Tapatalk

I leave the battery on my automatic charger for the winter season mabye its burn the battery insead of keeping its charge but what is weird is that i went for a ride 2 weeks before without issue

I ordered a new stator from Ricks motorsport.
Do you know if i nées to drain oïl before removing it or its not in the oil

Problem solved it was the wirering black and red wires that goes to the regulator i plugged those strait to Battery and now perfect voltage

Back