Change of sprockets

oliver

Hi does it make any difference if you change the front sprocket to a 16t or go up on the back sprocket .If I change the back how many teeth do you go up thanks

On my 06 I had -1 +1 sprockets
It will help you take off faster and your rpm at highway speed will change about 300rpm
One down on the front is like going up three on the rear.

just an fyi, the mechanic i talked to before i changed my sprockets recommended staying stock up front and adding teeth in the rear. he said it had been his experience going down 1 in front cause chain to wear out faster. i stayed stock up front went plus three in rear and am very happy with the results. hope that doesnt make your decision harder!

Going down teeth on the front can cause extra chain wear, as it makes the turn tighter... but honestly 1 tooth won't really make a noticeable difference to wear... certainly not as much as the improvement it makes anyway :)

I've changed gearing on bikes in the past (-1 +3 on my Firestorm/Superhawk) and it makes a massive difference to rideability.

Going down teeth on the front can cause extra chain wear, as it makes the turn tighter... but honestly 1 tooth won't really make a noticeable difference to wear... certainly not as much as the improvement it makes anyway :)

I've changed gearing on bikes in the past (-1 +3 on my Firestorm/Superhawk) and it makes a massive difference to rideability.

The GenI used a 16t front sprocket stock. I haven't heard much about chains wearing out prematurely on the GenI. Basically the 16t does not create an extreme turn for the chain.

BTW, in the swap to 16t on the GenII, many buy the oem GenI sprocket as it fits perfectly and is a quality piece with the rubberized buffer section just like the stock one on the GenII.

People with Gen1's have been dropping to a 15T for years and still get 20K-30K miles on the chain. You would have to drop down to a pretty small sprocket to really make the chain wear much faster. Dropping from a 17T to a 16T on a Gen2 should be a slam dunk.

:)

Back