Chain & Sprockets

I need advice on new Chain & Sprockets for my 09 FZ1-N. I'm looking for a black and gold rear sprocket (steel) , stock front sprocket & a excellent quality gold chain.
Can anyone recommend a good brand, or should i stick with stock option.

SUPERSPROX is the way to go. it's gold and black with steel teeth and aluminum inside. They got all sizes and chains too, I just ordered one myself.

Thanks, but i have been warned about, aluminium!. Do you know how reliable they are for every day riding.
Also i came across some threads, which complained about whining noise emitted by after market front sprockets, i guess after a while it would get annoying.

You have been warned about aluminum sprockets with aluminum teeth. SuperSprox are aluminum frame but still have steel teeth.

Supersprox USA

RST479-45.png

I am going to get a set of these when my stock rear wears out.

Wow, that look nice, anyway since when have i ever heeded any warning.
Sorry, i must have been warned about alu teeth.
Whilst on the subject, do you know is after market gold chains are any good?
Thanks

I would use either a RKGXW chain which is Gold and Black or an IRIS FB chain which is Gold and black also. Either one witht the Supersprox Sprocket looks Bitchin. I have the Iris with a Supersprox on my Triumph.

Thanks for clearing that up HAIL, i got scared for a second cause i just got a supersprox and thought it was steel teeth and aluminum then saw this and thought different!

If i was to get the gold IRSI CHAIN, what kind would it be? I've got 16t in front and 47 rear... I guess I'm asking how many links and stuff like that

You would to have a 124 link chain since the stock is 122 links. But after running it for about 1000 miles or so you could cut it back down to 122 links. since the chain will settle to the sprockets. With the Iris chain you would get the FB which is there Street bike chain.

I apologize for asking an ignorant question, but I haven't found a clear answer using the search feature, or google.

Why not aluminum sprockets on an FZ1?

I've used different o-ring and x-ring chains in the past, and I know the wear differences between brands (I got about 12,000mi using RK chains, and 20k-22k out of D.I.D. chains) But in the past I've always used AFAM aluminum sprockets for a 525 chain. I'm pretty aggressive rider constantly on and off the throttle, but I would only have to replace the sprockets every other chain replacement. (So I guess every 40k-46k mi.)

How long due steel sprockets last in comparison?

-Jeff

I apologize for asking an ignorant question, but I haven't found a clear answer using the search feature, or google.

Why not aluminum sprockets on an FZ1?

I've used different o-ring and x-ring chains in the past, and I know the wear differences between brands (I got about 12,000mi using RK chains, and 20k-22k out of D.I.D. chains) But in the past I've always used AFAM aluminum sprockets for a 525 chain. I'm pretty aggressive rider constantly on and off the throttle, but I would only have to replace the sprockets every other chain replacement. (So I guess every 40k-46k mi.)

How long due steel sprockets last in comparison?

-Jeff

That depends on what kind of bike you were using as well. A heavy bike with a big motor is going to eat them up quicker than say a 600 Super Sport bike.

People from around these parts have reported as low as 6K miles on a Vortex rear aluminum sprocket until it was worn out.

I personally dont know, and will run Drive Systems Superlite Steels, as I don't care about the weight difference. I would rather lose 5lbs off my own body and make up more of a difference than running an aluminum rear sprocket.

But that's just my $.02

Running Aluminum Sprockets on a big horsepower bike is not good. The teeth will just melt away with acceleration and decceleration. Like I said before I run the Supersprox becasue it is the best of both worlds. Aluminum for light weight and Steel so it will last plus ads some looks to the bike. I have about 20,000 miles on my sprocket and it doesn't even look like it.
I just saw the Supersprox has a Facebook page and is doing monthly drawings to give away some sprockets. I just hit them up to try to win one for my new bike also.

Back