Chain & Sprocket

Stuuk1

Hi guys,

I currently own a 2006 FZ1s and am looking to change my chain and rear sprocket.

Looking on eBay, I have found a set - eBay.co.uk item number - 300575461044

All I seem to be able to find is for the naked version...

Are these compatible? Or are there big changes meaning that if it's made for the naked version, it won't fit on my FZ1s?

Also, would it be advisable to change the front sprocket at the same time? I'm only really doing it to clean up the bike as the old stuff looks grubby and well used. Purely cosmetic.

Thanks

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?mvbwti

The -1 Tooth from the front is a very standard mod that many of the GenII guys do to their bikes. If you go with the change on both front and back, you will notice the difference but just remember that your mileage will be down and the speedo will be off as well. There is just as good a change by just dropping a tooth down in front and leaving the back stock.

Thanks for your reply. I found the following:

UK Bike Parts: Chain and Sprocket Kits: Yamaha FZ1 Fazer: 2006-11

I'm tempted to get the second one down from the top... Would anyone recommend this? Is the change in acceleration really 10% and would it be really noticeable?

Or should I just get the standard gearing?

As suggested by Billy I would just go down one tooth in the front (to a 16T), but if you don't care much about gas mileage then adding a +1 or +2 to the rear at the same time will make a very noticeable difference in acceleration. Oh and stay away from alloy (aluminum) rear sprockets for the street. They wont last very long...

Im getting a bit confused...

Ive found a kit with is 17T front, 45T rear (Standard).

I took the front cover off and there is actually a 16T sprocket already on the front. I have also noticed previously that the speedo is a little out and this will be why.

If I buy the 17T front and once had a few rides dont like it (not ridden the bike with 17T front) is it just a simple sprocket swap or do I need a new chain with a different length?

Also, the rear sprocket is 'Hard Anodised' has anyone seen the actualy colour of these? Is it more gold that grey colour?

Thanks.

Im getting a bit confused...

Ive found a kit with is 17T front, 45T rear (Standard).

I took the front cover off and there is actually a 16T sprocket already on the front. I have also noticed previously that the speedo is a little out and this will be why.

If I buy the 17T front and once had a few rides dont like it (not ridden the bike with 17T front) is it just a simple sprocket swap or do I need a new chain with a different length?

Also, the rear sprocket is 'Hard Anodised' has anyone seen the actualy colour of these? Is it more gold that grey colour?

Thanks.

You can go to a 17T up front and won't need to change the length of the chain but if you were looking for more of a performance mod, you won't get it by going up to a 17T.

That's cool, nope not looking for performance as 16t is standard.

Reason I ask is the kits I find are standard kits and to buy a different one is about £15. I just didn't want to have to buy another chain!

Thanks chaps!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?h5zcbx

If your not looking for performance then 17T is standard for the GenII, not a 16T. Someone had already done the mod on your bike it seems. If you want to go back to stock, then you'd have to install a 17T front.

"Hard Anodized" does not refer to a color, but to a process done to increase the surface hardness of aluminum. Not sure what color it would be. Like I said before not a good idea to use an aluminum rear sprocket on the street, especially on an FZ1. Doubt it would last more than 6-8k miles...

I know the anodising process, but on Renthal's site they list the sprocket colours e.g.

Blue
Red
Hard anodised
Black

So on the website it looks like 'hard anodised' is a list in the colour section. I just presume that web something is hard anodised it goes one colour? The picture looks like a dull gold colour but can't be sure...

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?yffgdz

Not sure if this is going to work but can someone please check this link and see the basket:

SPORTSBIKESHOP - Shopping Basket

There are two chains in there but I only want one of them..

My only question is, the chain is advertised as 'sealed' does this mean the chain is unbroken and will require more work to install?

Not sure if this is going to work but can someone please check this link and see the basket:

SPORTSBIKESHOP - Shopping Basket

There are two chains in there but I only want one of them..

My only question is, the chain is advertised as 'sealed' does this mean the chain is unbroken and will require more work to install?

No, it's just "sealed" in terms of the rings, be it "O" or "X". The chain will still come needing to be "linked" together. As for the link above, it only goes to an empty shopping basket.

Damn that's annoying, sorry about that. Ill put a link up for the specific item, it's just I've read some reviews on other forums about having to take the swing arm off etc because you can get endless chains. Can't believe this site doesn't say if it is or isnt...

I'll post back tomorrow... Good night from the UK!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?yoa3jw

As I`ve yet to check the front sprocket, I am not sure if the Yamaha front sprocket has shoulders on it.I prefer this set up as it keeps the chain straight and will run smoother and quieter.Many after market ones don`t have these shoulders, I believe the shoulders also extends the running life of both the chain and sprockets

Last edited:
As I`ve yet to check the front sprocket, I am not sure if the Yamaha front sprocket has shoulders on it.I prefer this set up as it keeps the chain straight and will run smoother and quieter.Many after market ones don`t have these shoulders, I believe the shoulders also extends the running life of both the chain and sprockets

Not sure about keeping the chain straight ( I thought the teeth of the sprocket are what did that) or extending the life. However, the rubber shoulders on the stock sprockets certainly do make the chain quieter...

Not sure about keeping the chain straight ( I thought the teeth of the sprocket are what did that) or extending the life. However, the rubber shoulders on the stock sprockets certainly do make the chain quieter...
When I said keeping the chain straight, I mean`t on the front sprocket, not letting it tilt one way or the other [horizontal],by the way I just flipped over the front sprocket so the chain will run on the other side off the teeth, help`s get better life out of sprocket`s and chain,only do this if the sprocket is still in good condition eg the teeth are still straight

I dont believe that you mentioned how many miles are on the bike. The stock chain set can provide a long life. I just replaced mine at 42.5K. YMMV.

Everyone has thier own way of doing things. I prefer to have VALUE instead of bling. Is it possible that you can clean the chain? Or is it rust?

Stay away from the Aluminum sprockets. Other than color, they have no benefits. Lighter weight you say? Please. Skip that 2nd helping at dinner and youll save weight too.

Heres my stock rear and aftermarket front. The front has 40K and the rear has 42.5K

terdog-albums-pics-picture3710-cell-fz-sprocket-003.jpg

Back