Chain life question

Dustin

So earlier in the year I installed a new chain and sprockets on my SV650. I went with JT steel sprockets and a WPS o-ring chain. This was sort of on the lower end of the price spectrum but I wanted to give it a try. Tensile strength was 9100lbs (same as the DID I was looking at) and reviews were good.

I have about 4500 miles on the chain at the moment and find that it is wearing out a lot more than I expected. I keep my chains well maintained and very clean and service it weekly or whenever I'm out in heavy rain. I'm finding about every 600-700 miles I need to adjust the chain. The factory spec for my chain is .8 to 1.2 inches of slack and I shoot for 1 inch when adjusting it; it often needs to be re-adjusted these days though.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a case of a cheap chain?

Next time around I think I'm going to go with a DID XVM (They're $69 at Rider's Discount through the SVRider forum!) but I'm wondering if anyone's experienced the same thing as me.

Last edited:
No, such experience with a chain, but it certainly doesn't sound normal. Most chains will stretch the most when you first put them on. After that they should rarely need adjustment, especially since you're doing a good job of keeping up with the maintenance.

Next time just spend a little more on a quality chain...

I had a bad experience with a cheap off name ebay chain. it was always needing adjusted and finally snaped somewhere around 1500 miles. did 2500 in damage. lessen learned now it has a ek-zzz, only have a few hundred miles on it but have not needed adjusted yet.

I would say its the chain. I hope you did not pay a lot for it. I have almost 15,000 on my original chain and its near perfect.

This is what I figured, I just wanted to hear from other people as well. I normally buy quality chains but I was interested to see how something a little lower on the price scale would perform. I believe I paid around $70 for it and considering I can actually get a DID ZVM2 chain for the same price, I think it was not good value.

I think I'll keep running this chain through the winter and let it take the abuse and get a DID in the spring

When i put the cheap one on it was only going to be till i could get a good one. when it broke i was doing around 60 shifting out of first gear getting on the highway. it hit places on the bike that were less than a inch away from me and if my wife would have been on the back the chain would have hit her for sure. it did 2500 in damage to the bike. i will always recomend the best chain from now on, and i would order a new one today. better safe than like me sorry. lol.

The chain on my Bandit needed adjusting about every 3 months. In bad need of replacement at 9k miles.
I've adjusted the FZ1 chain once in 1.5 years. I'm talking stock chains - but just sayin' maybe quality matters, and the Bandit chain was cheap? The Bandit did have more low end grunt, maybe that was it.

Back