Chain Cleaning & Oiling .

well i just finished cleaning / degreasing my FZ1N's chain & then oiling it up with Maxima chain wax lubricant , i always clean my chain throughly prior it being oiled . i clean the chain every 500km & sometimes even more often depending on its condition , while am @ it i adjust the chain tension if required . i have used this method for many yrs & find it extends chain life considerably , then again i enjoy maintaining my FZ1N so call it a labour of love .. :thumbup:

Do you lubricant the chain always every 500 K or more inbetween cleaning.
Can you give your impression with the Maxima brand, is it Australian or can be bought via the net?
I"m looking for a decent chain oil.
People here use gear oil .

me too , i clean every 500km

i clean it with paraffin oil(the best and very very cheap)
and
i oiling it with valvoline or castrol chain wax!

Do you lubricant the chain always every 500 K or more inbetween cleaning.
Can you give your impression with the Maxima brand, is it Australian or can be bought via the net?
I\"m looking for a decent chain oil.
People here use gear oil .

Maxima is ok , i'm sure you can find other brands that do just as good a job ? i like to use chain wax for its anti fling properties , less mess IMO ..

There are many quality chain lubricants that you can use on your chains. The big thing to do is to be sure to clean the chain before applying chain lubricant. Maxima is very good, Motul, is very good, Honda also makes a very nice thin lubricant. Based on the area conditions you operate your vehicle, should be your bases for choosing the right lube.

If your area is very wet, you will want a wet conditions sticky lubricant, while if you ride in dry sandy areas, you will want a dry lubricant.

On related topic, I just spent way too long degreasing the chain/left side of my rear wheel. It's a 2008 bike, had factory grease on the chain, and the wheels are the gold ones.

I used Simple Green/water solution to clean and then waxed with standard car wax to try avoiding that much effort next time. The finish now is as slick as you'd expect from any waxed painted surface - even though part of the spokes and rim have a rough surface.

So my questions:
1) think it'll work to ease the cleaning process?
2) is there a better approach at reducing maintenance -- beyond just letting it turn black?

Thx!

^^
i use motorcycle chain degreaser & spray the chain / rim , once it settles for a few minutes i wipe the chain & rim down . once thats done , i reapply the fresh new chain wax ..

I use scottoiler automatic chain lubrication system...it works perfectly :thumbup: , when cleaning, you only have to wipe oil down - oil is not so sticky so the chain is not as dirty as it is when using other lubricants.I clean it every 1500-2000 km and refill the RMV.
I can only recommend it.

I use the 'ol WD-40 for cleaning the chain off and then Dupont Teflon Chain lube, which can be bought at most hardware stores....cheap and works well IMO.

Chains made easy

If you get a Ketten Max cleaner/lube system yo can do an excellent job on your chain in about 10-15 minutes. I follow the Ketten-Max cleaning with a wax lube and have all but eliminated chain wear and the days of getting chain residue al over are gone

I just brought home a gallon of kerosene, a spray bottle, and some clean lint free rags. XMas day should be close to 50 degrees here in NY so I figured on getting the chain cleaned, lubed, and adjusted. If enough of this snow melts, I may even take a quick spin afterwards.

I watched some short videos on youtube dealing with chain cleaning and adjusting and it helped out alot. The kerosene is absolutely amazing. The grime falls right off. I used a brush to get into smaller places and cleaned one section at a time. I cleaned everything up, adjusted the tension, and heated the chain up a bit before applying the lube. It didn't take long at all and the bike shifts much better now and is more quiet when running.

On related topic, I just spent way too long degreasing the chain/left side of my rear wheel. It's a 2008 bike, had factory grease on the chain, and the wheels are the gold ones.

I used Simple Green/water solution to clean and then waxed with standard car wax to try avoiding that much effort next time. The finish now is as slick as you'd expect from any waxed painted surface - even though part of the spokes and rim have a rough surface.

So my questions:
1) think it'll work to ease the cleaning process?
2) is there a better approach at reducing maintenance -- beyond just letting it turn black?

Thx!

1. should help reduce stuff sticking to the wheel. I did not think of that. I guess I have something to do this weekend.
2. I used GOOF OFF. It took the factory lube off much better than simple green or Grease Lighting.

I am looking for something that will not fling as much myself.

I picked this up at Cycle Gear the other day. I can't way to try it out.

dcp_4461-1-1.jpg

I get this on all the sites. WD 40 should never be used to clean an o-ring chain, it degrades the o-ring, very quickly! Kerosene is what all the manuals suggest. I am then a big fan of Blue Label PJ 1. If put on at the end of a ride, then left overnight, the carrier evaporates, then it will not fling off, nearly invisible.

I'm Hooked on Maxima, as far as cleaning , my bike has seen water once because it was really dirty. most of the time Honda Cleaner/Polish or Original Bike Spirits "Same Thing" and have been using wd-40 until this year when i was told it was damaging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greybeard
WD 40 should never be used to clean an o-ring chain, it degrades the o-ring, very quickly!
Originally Posted by Va_Rider
No it doesn't. I (and many others) have been using WD-40 for years.... with NO damage to the chain, and with NO decrease in the life of the chain.

It's not so much the fact that it damages the o-ring. It doesn't to any great degree. The fact is wd-40 is a penatrating lubricant, thats why it works good on loosening rusty nuts and bolts. The problem with useing it on an o-ring chain is , it can penetrate the o-ring and damage the grease in the rollers actually causing them to wear quicker and rust with no grease to protect them. I saw a link on the web proving this fact, but can't seem to find it. I recommend useing a quality chain cleaner or some people have suggested kearosene which would probably not penetrate the o-ring.

Back