Chain adjustment (slack) thread to end all chain adjustment questions

This has been covered many times on this site, but I have to admit the image in owner's manual is confusing!

Take a look at lower left corner for chain slack measurement: (re-using schleppy's pic.. thanks!!)

FZ1-Drive-Chain.jpg

Here is the confusing bit (in my opinion): if you look at that diagram, it looks like you should be measuring from the bottom of the chain to lower mark and from the top of the chain to upper mark. This will not give you nearly enough slack!

The slack (or total up-down movement of 25-35mm) should be measured from either top or bottom of the chain. That is to say: if you push the chain up and take the measurement from the top of the chain, you should now push down and take another measurement from the top of the chain .. and you're looking for total movement to be between 25 and 35mm.

Chime in if you think the above statement is incorrect. Chime in if you agree too.. so that next person looking to do adjustment will be confident in the *right* approach :D

I agree with your assessment. Now that you’ve pointed it out - the instructions do seem to be confusing. As you stated, I agree the slack should be total chain movement measured from the same place on the chain: from top/top, center/center, or bottom/bottom. Whether true or not, I’ve heard from other bikers, “a loose chain is a happy chain”… so I normally adjust towards the loose side of the limit.

Here is the confusing bit (in my opinion): if you look at that diagram, it looks like you should be measuring from the bottom of the chain to lower mark and from the top of the chain to upper mark. This will not give you nearly enough slack!

The slack (or total up-down movement of 25-35mm) should be measured from either top or bottom of the chain. That is to say: if you push the chain up and take the measurement from the top of the chain, you should now push down and take another measurement from the top of the chain .. and you're looking for total movement to be between 25 and 35mm.

You are correct. I measure from the bottom of the chain to the top of the chain like they say in the manual and adjust for 40-50mm of slack. If I measure it the other way (top to top) and follow the 40-50mm guideline, I can hear the chain "slap" when taking off from a stop, proof that it's too loose.

So what you're saying is correct, if measuring from the center, 25-35mm of movement is good.

Do it per the diagram and you will be fine. Most people overtighten their chain which just wears the chain and sprockets faster. If you ever watch professional racer's chains in action there is quite a bit of slack. Err on the loose side, not the tight side.

Do it per the diagram and you will be fine. Most people overtighten their chain which just wears the chain and sprockets faster. If you ever watch professional racer's chains in action there is quite a bit of slack. Err on the loose side, not the tight side.

Yeah, that's the point of this thread. Definitely do it per diagram, but diagram is confusing.. hence the extra explanation :sport12:

:wtf: Thanks mate....you've just made something I always found simple to be now confusing! Did you do a course in that or does it just come naturally?

This is very helpful info, and it's good of you to take the time to help out. It is useful and appreciated. I will, however, point out fault in one part of your statement. You claim this will end all chain adjustment questions. False. For proof, just search "oil" on any motorcycle forum :p

Thanks for the info, though. I'm heading to the garage to measure my chain tension now...

:wtf: Thanks mate....you've just made something I always found simple to be now confusing! Did you do a course in that or does it just come naturally?

Man, tough crowd. I understand what the OP was questioning, but I agree that I don't think there is that much in dispute. Chain adjustment isn't a science, just have reasonable slack in the chain and you'll be fine. A couple of mm extra won't make a difference.

This is very helpful info, and it's good of you to take the time to help out. It is useful and appreciated. I will, however, point out fault in one part of your statement. You claim this will end all chain adjustment questions. False. For proof, just search "oil" on any motorcycle forum :p

Thanks for the info, though. I'm heading to the garage to measure my chain tension now...

LOL.. you're right of course. My hope was to have a thread which would come up easily in search (chain slack, chain adjustment.. should come up for both).

Racers and trackday junkies keep a chain looser to facilitate the continuous full travel of the rear suspension. When the rear suspension is near bottoming out the length between sprockets is at it's longest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep, I like to leave my chain on the looser side.
I generally follow the FZ1 service manual adjustment method though.

Agreed, I generally go for 50mm (2") of slack measured top to bottom. That's where it seems to be best, tighter than that and it gets noisier, looser than that it slaps.

Yes I do have Gen 1, the little diagram in the manual is exactly the same. You're right though on mine they say 40-50mm slack, on yours they say 25-35mm slack.

Back