center stand operation

Very simple to do:

1) Make sure handlebars are in center position (front wheel straight ahead)
2) With left hand on left hand grip and right hand on passenger grab bar, put right foot on stand tab and push it down till it touches ground
3) Push bike to the right side so both centerstand feet are on the ground
4) With left hand on left grip and right hand on the passenger grab bar just push down with your right foot and pull up and back with your right hand at the same time and it will pop up with almost no effort. It's really just getting the leverage, very little lifting is required.

Has anyone had trouble getting there FZ1 on its center stand, what is the best trick for this?

It's all about using leverage and not really force. As you stand on the left side of the bike, grab the handle bar with your left hand and the rear grab rail with your right hand. Start to push on the center stand until you feel it contact the ground (at this point the bike will self center). Now while pulling up on the grab handle shift all your weight onto the center stand. Bike should come right up...

Last edited:
With my front end lowered, mine was harder to get on the center stand but it was still all about leverage. I don't use the rear passenger rail, I use the handle (gen1). Passenger rail doesn't feel as stable to me.
DSCF3226.JPG

I just hold both Grips and pull the bike back toward me as I stand up on the stand and it pops right up. Just be careful on slippery cement garage floors.

I use the right foot stepping on the center stand, left hand on left grip, right hand on passenger grab handle. Pull up and back while stepping down. Easy peasy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i tried it standing behind the bike, grabing both passanger rails, didn't have the reach to the stand. I just didn't want to rip off one of those rails, by accident. That would kind of suck. : oops: i take it there bolted to the frame.

i tried it standing behind the bike, grabing both passanger rails, didn't have the reach to the stand. I just didn't want to rip off one of those rails, by accident. That would kind of suck. : oops: i take it there bolted to the frame.

Yea, you're not going to rip the passenger rails off, but I don't think that would have worked...

I too had a hard time until i saw someone do it in front of me. it really is all leverage. Just stand up on the center stand foot peg and it'll lift itself.

Yea this is all about leverage, balance, and coordination of your movements and NOT about strength. I'm 150 pounds, old, and not that strong and can get the bike up in a split second. When I first tried to put a Yamaha Zuma 50cc scooter weighing 212 pounds up on its center stand I couldn't do it to save my life. Watch a veteran do it right in front of your eyes and you'll get it. Remember, this is not a strength thing. If you are grunting, wrenching your back, straining, etc., then you're doing it wrong.

Once you get the bike moving, the key is putting your weight on that tab where your foot goes on the center stand, leverage there is what brings bike all the way up on the stand.

Takes a few tries to see that, but once you do its easy from then on.

I remember the first time I tried to use the centre stand--it was my GS500 and it took two of us a lot of heaving and groaning to get it up. I wondered how the hell it was possible by yourself.

As others have said, it's all technique and anyone can do it. I taught my ex and a couple of friends and now it's a cinch.

wow this really makes sense now i have always struggled with this usually needing help i just went over and popped it up.
that being said i weigh 120 lbs and if i can do it anyone can.
RW

Easiest was for me, I took a flat headed shovel, put it in front of the tire, road the bike up it a little bit, then pushed on the center stand and let it roll back.

Back