Caribbean Cruise

We just got back. Went to Cococay and Nassau. Man were we disappointed.

We haven't been on a cruise since 1983 and WOW how it's changed. Use to be, you paid one price and it covered almost everything. Now, they nickle dime you every chance they can. You can even upgrade your dinner in the dining room to Filet Mignon if you pay $15.

On Cococay, which is a little island that the cruise line (Royal Caribbean)owns --- they even charge you to take a guide walk around the island with basically nothing on it.

Snorkeling, scuba, little water park -- everything is extra money. I thought it sucked.

Of course, the food on the ship was great. It was still relaxing and I was stuffed the entire cruise.

The only cruise we will ever consider again is an Alaskan cruise --- but they are a chunko money --- maybe when I'm older and have nothing else to do.

Good to know! My girlfriend and I have discussed going on a cruise some time in the future. Neither of us have tried it and that's our motivation

I think cruises are more fun with a group of friends. We tend to party a bit more with friends. They do nickel and dime you to death. We usually bring a 2 liter sprite bottle filled with vodka or rum and use the free drinks as setups.

I think cruises are more fun with a group of friends. We tend to party a bit more with friends. They do nickel and dime you to death. We usually bring a 2 liter sprite bottle filled with vodka or rum and use the free drinks as setups.

Coming home we stopped to get some coffee at a gas station and the girl at the counter said that on the last day of the cruise she got her bar bill and it was $1000. She thought she would die right there. hehe

I wonder if the bottle of liquid would make it through the scanners? If so --- it would be a great idea.

Good to know! My girlfriend and I have discussed going on a cruise some time in the future. Neither of us have tried it and that's our motivation

Regardless, I think everyone should go on at least one cruise. They are fun, relaxing and great for your sex life :) just don't try to go on the cheap or you might be disappointed.

Never was much for the cruise thing. Way too organized for me.

Next year we're going to Amsterdam, Belgium, Germany, and maybe Italy with another couple.

I hope I'll get the chance to meet DenArnold while there too!

Another thought....

For me the best part of the cruises are the days on land. That is just the most interesting part to me. The days on the water are kind of like being forced to stay in your hotel for a good portion of your vacation. All the exit doors are locked. ;)

Short cruises of 5 days will net you 3 days on water and 2 days on land.

A longer 7 day cruise will get you 3 days on water and 4 days on land. How is that possible? many of the stops will be close enough to make it to the next day while you sleep. Especially on Caribbean cruises.

You see where I am going with this? For the short cruises we go with friends and party it up. If we want to have some fun AND relaxation, just the wife and I we go on a longer cruise and do some exploring on our shore days.

Never was much for the cruise thing. Way too organized for me.

Next year we're going to Amsterdam, Belgium, Germany, and maybe Italy with another couple.

I hope I'll get the chance to meet DenArnold while there too!

:+1:
I actually prefer just getting to the destination we want to visit and spending our time there. Though cruising has introduced us to some places that we just had to go visit on a another trip.

I'm just the opposite. I would rather stay on the ship the entire time. In Nassau I felt like a total mark. Everyone on land wanted to make money off me doing something. The straw market was a beggar every 5 seconds. I don't need that.

Foreign second or third world countries are nothing I desire to see.

I like the good ole USA. Tourists are treated with more respect by folks that understand.

Been on one cruise and it was nice doing lots of different things without having to go somewhere, and we could always easily be back in the cabin... it was my honeymoon, ya know... ;)

We got off at Cozumel and dived, and walked a bit, but I was happy chillin without a care on the boat - and I just like the water - I like watching the water, smelling it, feeling the breeze - you just don't get that on land.

Maybe a longer cruise, or to Alaska, I'd be interested in seeing some other sites, but we never even made it to all the parts of the ship we were on.

The only thing that annoys me is the "tip schedule" of what I should feel guilty about if I don't tip every service person on board... that get's me riled.

I would recommend though not to go on Carnival where all the families go - so many freakin kids!!!

Back