Cardo Scala Rider G4 Part II: Ride Report

I just bought this and installed it two weeks ago.

I really like listening to the FM radio to and from work on my bike. Over the weekend, a buddy and I paired the set up and took a ride. The communication between rider was good...not excellent, but nevertheless...better than not having any communication.

The ability to have my kids/wife get a hold of me on my phone while riding completely pays for the unit. If an emergency come up at home I'm just a phone call away.

Overall I'd rate the G4 an A- to a B+.

Can anyone give some personal feedback on the Scala G4? I'm considering to buy it, but after reading the previews report I'm still undecided.

Thanks in advance.

My wife and I have the Scala Q2 multiset package and while they have some quirks, we're happy with them. They work very well if you practically eat the boom mic. :D Battery life is what you make it... less talk, longer time. We've chatted a whole ride and they lasted about 7 hours with the last hour being shaky if we put even a small distance between us. Full battery and clear line of sight? About 3/4 of a mile range. Phone paired and worked great too (BB Curve)

Got mine almost two months ago. Don't know anyone who owns one, so I haven't paired with anybody yet. My phone works great through it (calls and mp3s, too). I use the radio nearly every time I'm on the bike. I'd rate the radio's reception @ 5 out of 10. It does work but it's almost always staticy. That being said, it's the feature I use most. I do find myself seeking another (clearer) station often, though.
Battery life has been amazing. With the radio on everyday for approx. 1hr. and the occasional call, I'm getting three weeks or more out of a single charge. Btw, call clarity and volume are what I would consider really good...at least under 65mph. Most people don't believe I'm riding when they call.
Also, I've used it in the rain with no probs. However, after only around two months, my foam windscreen is already starting to disintegrate :( THAT's why they included an extra! I would really like to change from the boom mount to one of their wired mounts for asthetics. I'm not a huge fan of booms, unless needed for open-faced helmets. I think they're only offered in Europe so far.
Was it worth $190? I think so. Riding every day, I like being able to make/take calls. This alone makes it worth it to me; the rest is a nice bonus.

Back