Carb/idling Help Needed

Prongomatic

Carb/idling Help Needed (FIXED)

After searching all of the old threads I still cannot trouble shoot my idling issues. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2004 FZ1, Ivans Jet Kit, 10,500 miles, Yoshimura RS-3 Slip-On Exhaust, with stock air box, stock headers, new hoses, plugs and fluids.

The PROBLEM:
1)My 2004 FZ stumbles at idle, at 1,200 rpms it jumps to 1,350 for a sec and then back down. It continues the cycle at idle. You can hear it go Blup Blup Blup Grrrr, Blup Blub Blub Grrr...
2)Once I take off in first the bike feels like it has turbo lag, it hits 3k and BAMM revs up the tack like no tomorrow. The surge is scary and barely controllable in first. Why the power surge? After the surge the power is spread nicely across the board.
3)This is a pain when going around a corner and I don't want to rear end a car or run over a small child.

What I did to TROUBLE SHOOT:
1) The carbs are so clean you can eat off of them, inside and out. There is no dirt or crud pugging the jets.
2) I installed Ivan's jet kit. I followed the directions EXACTLY. The only thing I didn't do was clip the springs. All needles, jets, springs, slides are good.
3) I had 3MM spacers so I used the second setting from the top on the needle.
4) I drilled out the brass plugs and set the mixture 4.5 turns out.
5) When I rebuilt the carbs I installed new diaphragms and new O-rings.
6) I did drill out the piston valves just like Ivan said. I re-installed the stock piston valves (I have a spare set of carbs) but it didn't make a difference. Bypass holes were also drilled out per Ivan's specs.
7) I re-set the TPS valve to 5k on the Tach.
8) I synced and balanced the carbs.
9) No Air leaks in the hoses or carb spacers.
10) Air box is stock with no mods and a K&N (CLEAN and DRY) Air Filter.
11) EXUP valve was lubed and set per factory specks.
12) Fuel tank is clean, filled with premium and Sea Foam, Fuel filter is good.
13) Float heights are all correct and in sync.
14) New coils, plugs and plug wires. The plugs are gapped correctly and all wires are seated.
15) Throttle cables and all fuel hoses are not pinched or kinked.

Sorry for the long post, but WTF? I've already pulled the carbs 6 times now making various adjustments. It's easy but I'm tired of doing it.

Last edited:
Re:

To the best of my knowledge. I backed out the pilot screws 4.5 turns. The kit says 4-5. I read a few articles online, it sounds like it might be the TPS. I will try at first light.
Thanks for the reply

Re Carbs

I was wondering- If you let it warm up do you have the same symtoms? Cold it could be running lean. I have had this with another bike what if you run on a full choke , does anything change?

RE:

Hey YZF..
I originally had them clipped but I didn't like the feel of the throttle. I'm lucky to have a spare set of carbs that I can swap parts from if I screw something up or if don't like the mod.

Fixed..

Sweet.
After testing the coils and plug gaps again nothing changed. I decided to re-test the TPS. Even after making micro adjustments it just wouldn't stay at 5K in TPS Mode. Even after gently tightening the screws it would always slip back up to 10K.

So I swapped out the faulty TPS, readjusted it and took it for a test spin. The major power surge is gone, it idles better and the power is now spread across the board.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

When in doubt, go back to basics and try it again.

Sweet.
After testing the coils and plug gaps again nothing changed. I decided to re-test the TPS. Even after making micro adjustments it just wouldn't stay at 5K in TPS Mode. Even after gently tightening the screws it would always slip back up to 10K.

So I swapped out the faulty TPS, readjusted it and took it for a test spin. The major power surge is gone, it idles better and the power is now spread across the board.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

When in doubt, go back to basics and try it again.

Wow! Thank the Lord for an easy fix! Great job. Now get out there and enjoy!!!

Another Erratic TPS

I tested the TPS on my '05 w/18K miles. After unplugging and re-plugging the TPS connector, the inital reading was 5k on the tach, but the readings then changed intermittently to 7-8k (???). I tried to adjust it, but it just would not hold a steady 5K reading.

I checked the resistance readings for the sensor, and they were within the specified range.

However, I still think my TPS sensor is faulting out. It makes sense, since my idle has been uneven (can't hold a steady idle speed)...

Fortunately, I was able to track down one of the three TPS sensors stocked in the nation (unbelievable), otherwise, they are on national backorder until June 21st.

UPDATE:

Installed the new TPS. Adjusted to a steady 5K reading on the tach. Throttle response is good, and idle fluctuations are gone.

Last edited:
Back