carb cleaning

bunky

Just wondering if anyone has used a carb cleaner additive to put in your gas tank to help with rough idle.

My 03 has last years gas (winter storage) with fuel stabilizer and I also filled up with 91 octane fuel when the tank was half full.

Wondering if I should continue filling up with the premium gas for another tank. Manual says to use the cheaper stuff.

The carb cleaner says it will help with carb cleaning, but am I looking at a "snake oil" product?

I know I will need to do the spark plugs cuz it has not been done, (claims the last owner). Probably 3 years or more.

Should I do this after I replace the spark plugs or not bother?
The additive bottle says to add when the gas tank is near empty. Well....I am near empty. Therefore need to know what everyone has done before I fill up.

Thanks,

Last edited:
it won't hurt.
the additives in the carb cleaner are the same as the ones already in your fuel just more concentrated. Probably won't help either but it's worth a shot.

I do know that the higher the octane rating the slower the burn rate with gasoline. High octane is to prevent detonation in high compression motors. You might be better off buying a cheap fluid pump emptying the tank and putting fresh gas of the proper octane in. At least you will know if you have a carb problem.

Just wondering if anyone has used a carb cleaner additive to put in your gas tank to help with rough idle.
Rough idle is often caused by poorly sync'd carbs. Hesitation off the line is usually caused be coughed pilot jets or lean mixture screws. Add Seafoam to the gas tank to clean carbs. Use regular gas. Changing the plugs is a good idea as well as an oil change.

I will look into the seafoam product. Never heard of it.
I have also looked into getting the plugs done but am curious as to the validity of it being required of a 2003 with only 36,000km.
I will also get the carbs synced since it probably has never been done.
Thanks guys.

Back