Carb Boots

I guess I should have mentioned to Canada as it looks like he only ships to the States?.....forget it my bad.......just looked and they do.

Last edited:
Yup! Great prices and shipping to anywhere in the world! :D Thanks to Tony and Billy for always bringing them up! ;) They've trained me well!

K received the intake boots from Parts Shark (have to say very impressed with the service) and wondering do you have to remove the carbs to change them or is there enough space with the air box out to slide the carbs back still connected and change the boots?

I was checking out my 2002 FZ1 today and noticed the same thing with my boots. Were you able to slide the carbs back and change them or did you have to remove them? Also, is the name of the boots "Carberator Joints"?

Last edited:
Took the carbs out, was not enough room to make it work. I ordered them from Parts
Shark, just look on the parts listing as from memory I cannot recall the exact discription. You have to order 2 outter and 2 inner ones and they might be called joints?

There's enough room if you slide the airbox back all of the way... I've done several sets of boots without removing the carbs...

But... I feel that it's worth mentioning that cracks on these boots are normal, and that the material is so thick that the cracks very rarely, if ever, go all of the way through... I'd only recommend changing them if you can verify that they are leaking (by spraying the boots with starting fluid / WD-40 / Etc. while the bike is running and listening for a change in idle) or if you plan to port the new boots going on.... otherwise, you're wasting your money.

On that note.. if you're ordering a new set, and want them ported but you're unwilling or unable to do them yourself, send them to me... for $20 and $5 shipping, I'll port them and send them on to you.

There's enough room if you slide the airbox back all of the way... I've done several sets of boots without removing the carbs...

But... I feel that it's worth mentioning that cracks on these boots are normal, and that the material is so thick that the cracks very rarely, if ever, go all of the way through... I'd only recommend changing them if you can verify that they are leaking (by spraying the boots with starting fluid / WD-40 / Etc. while the bike is running and listening for a change in idle) or if you plan to port the new boots going on.... otherwise, you're wasting your money.

On that note.. if you're ordering a new set, and want them ported but you're unwilling or unable to do them yourself, send them to me... for $20 and $5 shipping, I'll port them and send them on to you.

So --- what is porting a boot?

Porting a boot opens them up and smooths the flow that the air has to travel from airbox through the carbs.... Ivan sells ported boots for something ridiculous like $150 ... but, you just take a dremel and reshape the boot a bit, to get rid of a hump in the body of the boot that disrupts flow.... then smooth everything back out... and you match the port size at the end of the boot to the size of the intake ports at the head... the boots are actually smaller going into the engine than the intake holes in the head...

Back