Can u put a bigger tire on an 04 fz1 then what it comes with stock?

fz1417

I was wondering if anyone knew if you can fit a 190 or 200 on the back of a stock 04 fz1? i like the look of the wider tires and also if it does anything to the handlinng of the bike?

Well there will be other opinions on this, but here it goes...the stock wheel is a 17x5.5 and comes with a 180/55 tire. Can you physically put a 190/50 or 190/55 on there? Sure can, but you'll be pinching the tire too much and the contact patch wont be optimal. All the bikes that I have seen fitted with a 190 tire from factory come with at least a 17x6 wheel...just something to think about.

The handling will be affected. The bike will not be as responsive. You will not like the handling as much as you like the look.

Suspension, and tires in particular, are a lot more complicated than they were just a few years ago and trying to fit larger width rubber on a wheel designed for a slightly narrower tire will result in a tire that doesn't fit the wheel as designed. Tires have been getting wider and wider and in many cases it has resulted in better traction and handling. On the other hand some bikes, mainly cruisers, went to a whopping 240. I had one and didn't like how it lifted when cornering. I felt it was so downright evil in it's cornering characteristics that after only about eight months I unloaded the sucker. I'd stick with the stock size.

ditto to all of the above...

as with anything else... there's a BIG difference between "can" and "should" ....

"can" you put a bigger tire on? Yes

"Should" you put a bigger tire on? No way in hell.

"can" you roast hot dogs in an oil fire? Yes.

The handling will be affected. The bike will not be as responsive. You will not like the handling as much as you like the look.

FLFZ1/NJFZ1/FZRIDERNY Also have a good point. I had a 190/50 M1 on my bike a few years back, looked great but did not turn in as fast as the 180/55.

Also depends on how aggressive you ride your bike. I would say if you like to push hard, I would not recommend moving up a size.

And there again, it depends on what brand also profile of the tire you would like to use. You could get away using a Michelin, power pilot or some thing close to that profile.

I hope that helps your decision.

Last edited:
my 08 has a bigger tire on it then my sabre did and this is kinda a dumb comparison but my fz1 likes to right itself compared to the sabre and it was kinda hard to get used to right away so handling will be a big issue

Thanks for the help guys. i like to ride hard and kind of aggresively so if its going to effect handling no way im going to change the size of the tire!

Back