Can the plastic pieces on the side of fuel tank be removed?

09thumper

I'm talking about the small plastic (sort of carbon fiber-ish) looking pieces at the bottom of the tank on each side. I don't see a screw holding them on.

I'm trying to install a Targa tank cover.

Thanks!

I'm talking about the small plastic (sort of carbon fiber-ish) looking pieces at the bottom of the tank on each side. I don't see a screw holding them on.

I'm trying to install a Targa tank cover.

Thanks!

Yes... these are held on with double-sided tape. You can carefully pry them off with tools. Be prepared to get the tape off these parts and apply new 3M tape to get them back on. ;)

I had to remove them on my wife's bike for the paint shop then apply them when we reassembled.

Confirmed.. Double side scotch paper.. Very delicate removing work.. Better do from a professional but if you want try use a warm air phon on medium position to liquidfile the paper's glue and pull from piece's center very very delicately.. My mechanic just did for me when I covered it with simil carbon paper. Perfect job that I never tried do.. I was to scary to break all;-)

Cool, thanks for the quick tips. Seems like this shouldn't be needed to install a tank cover (bra) though. I'll have to take another look before I attempt to remove these pieces.

The tank cover didn't really come with instructions.

when you have the cover show here the photo.. Fz1-forum have members all over the world and I'm sure you'll find someone that give you instructions.. Have a good job!

Magical Racing makes carbon fiber replacements for the factory plastic pieces. When I can afford it they will be mine:sinister:
hi Johnny..you can find tank carbon side on powerbronze.com. On the site you can see how fit on the bike. The fz1 with all the powerbronze production look to freak for me but every single pieces are hi level made with top materials.

Thanks Ridges I will look. I have fallen in love with the Magical stuff. I can't stop looking. I am very close to being finished Modding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This man seems to be quite rational and experienced on this.So we may confidently follow him.That was really logical auestion.
You did not mention about the tape choice so how you can be helped man ?

Last edited:
That looks sweet, what type of tape did you use to attach that carbon back to the tank?

This man seems to be quite rational and experienced on this.So we may confidently follow him.That was really logical auestion.
You did not mention about the tape choice so how you can be helped man ?

As was stated above just use a quality (such as 3M) double sided tape and it will stay on there for good. Just make sure the area is free of contaminates (wax, grease, etc.) and that it's not too cold when trying to put the parts on. If you park the bike out in the sun for a little bit before installing it will work out even better.

Back