can the fuel tank float sensor be adjusted ?

Billythediablo

Ive notice on my fz1 07 the reserve trip comes around 125 miles, and I ride about 20 to 25 more miles before stopping, but it only takes between 3.5 to 3.7 gal or so to refill, :dontknow: so I'm thinking if the capacity is 4.75 gal why is the reserve trip coming to soon >? if I still have more then 1 gallon in the tank>?
I'm wondering if I can remove the tank and bend the float sensor so it wont come to soon >? what is your thoughts ? has anybody done this before ?

Ive notice on my fz1 07 the reserve trip comes around 125 miles, and I ride about 20 to 25 more miles before stopping, but it only takes between 3.5 to 3.7 gal or so to refill, :dontknow: so I'm thinking if the capacity is 4.75 gal why is the reserve trip coming to soon >? if I still have more then 1 gallon in the tank>?
I'm wondering if I can remove the tank and bend the float sensor so it wont come to soon >? what is your thoughts ? has anybody done this before ?

Tank is 4.8 Gal. But what is the point....if you know how much fuel and how much further you can go when the F-trip comes on why go through the effort?

You pretty much know when you "need" gas.

The petrol gauge is pretty annoying, I thought I had a dodgy dash when I first got my FZ1 as it got to about 90 miles on the trip with 2 blocks showing and I parked up. When I set off again the last block on the gauge was flashing and the mileage had gone to zero, I was wondering what the hell was going on! Then the last block stopped flashing and the gauge read two bars and after a few miles the mileage went back to 90-odd. I realised that because it had been on the side stand it had made it seem like the level was lower than it was and had set the mileage count from reserve going! I now park it on the centre stand when the tank is getting down to stop this happening. Does anyone know if the trip keeps counting the miles when it goes into reserve miles mode?

Does anyone know if the trip keeps counting the miles when it goes into reserve miles mode?

Yes, it does. When it goes in to reserve mode just toggle it back to your trip meter and use the trip meter to know when to stop and get fuel. I can go about 150 mi before it goes on 'reserve', but you can calculate yours based on your true mpg (miles ridden/refill gal). The stated tank capacity is 4.76 gal, with the reserve amount of 0.90 gal. which means it SHOULD go on reserve when 3.86 gal are used. If you are getting 40 mpg, for example, based on your actual measurement than you should start looking to refuel at 3.86 x 40 = 154 miles. The 'F-trip' meter is pretty worthless, imo.

Last edited:
I normally refill at about 130mi.. the other day I was on the freeway and looked down and noticed 150 :jaw drop: so I pulled off and went hunting for a gas station.. three miles later I was getting really nervous and finally found one... WHEW!

I always stop filling when I hit the perforated plate near the top, does anyone fill higher, like into the neck of the down-tube?

I normally refill at about 130mi.. the other day I was on the freeway and looked down and noticed 150 :jaw drop: so I pulled off and went hunting for a gas station.. three miles later I was getting really nervous and finally found one... WHEW!

I always stop filling when I hit the perforated plate near the top, does anyone fill higher, like into the neck of the down-tube?

I do, I actually put it on the center stand and put as much as gas as I can

Back