Can someone explain the pros/cons of a slip on?

I'm getting ready to put an aftermarket slip on can on my new 2010 FZ1, but there are a few things I don't understand that I was hoping to get clarified before I buy anything.

First, my reason for putting a different pipe on is because the stock pipe looks and sounds lame. I don't plan to track my bike, so performance isn't really important to me (so long as it doesn't decrease performance any from stock, which I wouldn't expect).

My first question is how will a slip on change my gas mileage, if at all? This is important to me because I will probably be commuting some and I'd like to get the best deal at the pump that I can get.

Secondly, my bike is equipped with an EXUP system. According to the owners manual, "This system boosts engine power by means of a valve that regulates the inner diameter of the exhaust pipe. The EXUP system valve is constantly adjusted in accordance with the engine speed by a computer-controlled servomotor." Now, I've watched copperdawgs excellent video on installing aftermarket pipes and it seems as though anything I put on will require the deactivation of this EXUP system. I'm not very smart, but it sounds like that could be a bad thing...is Yamaha just blowing smoke up my tailpipe and this EXUP thing isn't really anything to write home about? Can anyone clarify the ramifications of deactivating this system?

Third, what are the pros and cons (if any) of gutting the cat? Referencing copperdawgs video again, it seems like this is a fairly common mod, but I haven't heard anyone explain why. And its a fairly permanent mod. How will it change performance? Will it change gas mileage? I bought an extended warranty...will it make said protection null and void?

Here is the link to copperdawgs tutorial videos (its the second to last video, titled "Installing a Slip On"), for those who doesn't know what I'm referring to: Gallery

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on my questions!

I'm getting ready to put an aftermarket slip on can on my new 2010 FZ1, but there are a few things I don't understand that I was hoping to get clarified before I buy anything.

First, my reason for putting a different pipe on is because the stock pipe looks and sounds lame. I don't plan to track my bike, so performance isn't really important to me (so long as it doesn't decrease performance any from stock, which I wouldn't expect).

My first question is how will a slip on change my gas mileage, if at all? This is important to me because I will probably be commuting some and I'd like to get the best deal at the pump that I can get.

Secondly, my bike is equipped with an EXUP system. According to the owners manual, "This system boosts engine power by means of a valve that regulates the inner diameter of the exhaust pipe. The EXUP system valve is constantly adjusted in accordance with the engine speed by a computer-controlled servomotor." Now, I've watched copperdawgs excellent video on installing aftermarket pipes and it seems as though anything I put on will require the deactivation of this EXUP system. I'm not very smart, but it sounds like that could be a bad thing...is Yamaha just blowing smoke up my tailpipe and this EXUP thing isn't really anything to write home about? Can anyone clarify the ramifications of deactivating this system?

Third, what are the pros and cons (if any) of gutting the cat? Referencing copperdawgs video again, it seems like this is a fairly common mod, but I haven't heard anyone explain why. And its a fairly permanent mod. How will it change performance? Will it change gas mileage? I bought an extended warranty...will it make said protection null and void?

Here is the link to copperdawgs tutorial videos (its the second to last video, titled "Installing a Slip On"), for those who doesn't know what I'm referring to: Gallery

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on my questions!

The power gained with most open slip-on pipes more than outweighs any EXUP gains had.
As far as stock systems go then I suppose the EXUP is ok.
You are removing one CAT in the stock exhaust, which while great for the environment, restricts gas flow and performance.
Slip-ons can make 7 HP+.
Generally any performance gain will cost you a little more fuel. You can't have it both ways.
My bike is geared -1 front +2 rear so fuel economy is not one of my strong points.
About the cat gut; I personally don't believe in gutting the cat as you can't go back to stock if you have to.
In this day and age, one day we will have to return our bikes back to stock for pollution/ environment reasons.
Hey, it might not happen but I'm not taking any chances.
Good luck with your bike and do heaps of reading on this forum as the answers you seek are everywhere.

Last edited:
if you're not getting a powercommander I'd suggest not gutting the cat. The cat is pretty expensive if you ever need to replace it, and since you're not going to the track you won't need the extra hp.
With a powercommander the fuel/air ratio is adjusted properly, only creating extra exhaust flow won't improve the bikes performance.

You will gain performance, mostly filling in the mid-RPM dip (around 7000-8000 RPM range). Generally speaking, any mod that increases the efficiency of the exhaust flow or intake air flow will tend to increase engine efficiency, power AND fuel economy will increase. Now if you choose to continually USE this new found power, MPG may suffer.:) Have a look around this site and manufacturers sites for horse power graphs (Dyno graphs) and you'll see the gains that you should expect.

Third, what are the pros and cons (if any) of gutting the cat?

Pros: A little Louder, a little more upper end power.
Cons: Expensive to reverse. Is the power gain worth it? As you go farther with these mods you will end up needing the PowerCommander to keep A/F ratio's correct. It may be a better option to store the stock header with cat intact and replace it with a full system.

With all this said, a slip-on is a really good mod (in my Op) and you won't need a PC with just a slip-on. Not saying there isn't gains to be had with the PC, just that it's not a necessity with a slip-on only.

Less weight too.

I like the PC with a custom tune on a stock bike too as most new bikes have a terrible throttle from the factory.

Sent from my MB508 using Tapatalk

diet

Less weight too.

That is an understatement, The difference between the MIVV GP (which is what I have) and the stock was about 10 lbs. It is definately louder and the bike is more lively in the low and midrange (seat of the pants). I have not yet added a PC, nor will I until I get a aftermarket header. My cat is still intact as I won't modify the stock header, it will go into storage.

Another PRO: the looks vs. stock. (almost any slip on is an improvement from the Dyson Vac.)

here is my install; http://www.998cc.org/forum/fz1-mods/7268-mivv-gp-install.html#post27227

Last edited:
@Oldschool: I have that thread saved for when I do my install :)

Does anyone have a titanium MIVV GP pipe on a raven FZ (preferably a '07 or '10 with the gold forks)? I'd love to see a picture as I'm torn between the CF and titanium style.

One other question about the MIVV GP pipe...it comes with a baffle installed to keep it quiet and from Oldschool's thread, it sounds like its held in by a rivet making it non-removable. Ideally, I'd like to set it up to where I can easily install or remove it (i.e. in for the neighbors when I leave my house, out for the twisties, and back in for when I head home). Has anyone else done this? Is it feasible?

@Oldschool: I have that thread saved for when I do my install :)

Does anyone have a titanium MIVV GP pipe on a raven FZ (preferably a '07 or '10 with the gold forks)? I'd love to see a picture as I'm torn between the CF and titanium style.

One other question about the MIVV GP pipe...it comes with a baffle installed to keep it quiet and from Oldschool's thread, it sounds like its held in by a rivet making it non-removable. Ideally, I'd like to set it up to where I can easily install or remove it (i.e. in for the neighbors when I leave my house, out for the twisties, and back in for when I head home). Has anyone else done this? Is it feasible?

Mine was installed with a stainless rivet that I promptly drilled out (very easy). After a day or two I re-installed it with a small stainless screw-head bolt and nut. It can be easily removed at anytime with a screw driver and 9mm wrench (both of which are in the stock tool kit).

Back