Calling all Gen I wheelie riders!

FZ1fun

Alright guys I just started trying to wheelie my 2001 FZ1 with little to no success. It seemed for the most part that all I could do was chirp the rear wheel. There were a couple of times where I lifted the front wheel a little bit but I couldn't repeat it. All of this was from first gear at about 15-20 mph and dumping the clutch at about 7000 rpms. I'm preatty heavy at 250 lbs but I've been told this shouldn't matter. I even tried having my left leg on the passenger peg with the right covering the rear break. Do I just need more practice, any advice would be appreciated?

first... set your suspension up as close to proper as you can.... I can tell you now, that's going to be the rear preload all of the way up, and the front preload all of the way up.... aftermarket springs are really needed... 650# - 700# in the rear and 1.05 - 1.10's up front.... then... gearing is your friend. 15/47 specifically. Then jet kit, timing advance, ported boots, airbox bod.. then, 1st lifts all by itself, and 2nd lifts with the slightest bit of clutch play...

but... if you really want to be experimenting with this... you RPM are too high... you can go on-off-wide open on the throttle at 5k in 1st and it'll lift... or, in 2nd, you want to be clutching it starting at 3,500 - 4,000 rpm... not 7k in any gear.

Can you just chop the throttle and then pin it at 6,000 and have it come up on the Gen1? My FZ6 would do that all day long. The Buell simply stood up in 1 to 2.5ish.

first... set your suspension up as close to proper as you can.... I can tell you now, that's going to be the rear preload all of the way up, and the front preload all of the way up.... aftermarket springs are really needed... 650# - 700# in the rear and 1.05 - 1.10's up front.... then... gearing is your friend. 15/47 specifically. Then jet kit, timing advance, ported boots, airbox bod.. then, 1st lifts all by itself, and 2nd lifts with the slightest bit of clutch play...

but... if you really want to be experimenting with this... you RPM are too high... you can go on-off-wide open on the throttle at 5k in 1st and it'll lift... or, in 2nd, you want to be clutching it starting at 3,500 - 4,000 rpm... not 7k in any gear.

How will adjusting the preload affect regular riding?

at 250#, you need to have the preload cranked all of the way up, and even then, you till won't be able to meet proper rider sag specifications... so... long story short, it'll make it handle better than it does now, it'll be less "boaty" ... and as a result, it'll also stand up easier....

right now, when you pin the throttle, the rear suspension soaks up 80-90% of the force generated.... so, the tail of the bike "squats" and you just take off...

Go ahead... ask me how I know all of this...

I run about 250lbs myself....

How to.....

I'v seen a set of wheelie bars advertised in the backs of sportbike mag's, that are just for that purpose. They alow you to get the front lofted so your riding the rear wheel and of course up against the wheelie bar rollers/wheels. Riding wheelies on an FZ1 as a newb is probably much more difficult than most due to the long wheekbase, though I'v a friend that could probably wheelie a Goldwing, he's so good. Get ready to be buying plastic, and mabe medical services.........

Is it possible to do a throttle wheelie in 2nd gear with a stock bike? There's a guy on an other motorcycle forum who says so. I think it's bs. On my bike, in 2nd gear, if i pull really hard, i can lift the front end about an inch before i reach the red line.

Back