Call me paranoid..

I'm at 515 miles now. The tail end of the exhaust pipe and some of the surrounding chrome is starting to turn black with soot.

This happening to others out there, or (my worry) is my bike running rich?

^^
this is normal , most motorcycles these days run slightly rich from factory to pass EPA laws . if you are concerned though , get the servicing mechanic to give it a once over next time its in for hand book servicing .. :)

It's normal

I'm at 515 miles now. The tail end of the exhaust pipe and some of the surrounding chrome is starting to turn black with soot.

This happening to others out there, or (my worry) is my bike running rich?

I had the same thing on my '06 at 2000 miles, so being the paranoid bastard that I am, I went to my brothers auto repair shop and put it on a 5 gas analyzer, stuck the probe up it's butt myself. All the numbers were way low and well within spec. Here's the quick fix: wipe it off! I'm not being a smartass (well, no more than usual) it will go away when and if you buy one of the aftermarket fuel modules. Meanone's quite right when he said that Yamaha as most producers of new bikes tend to richen up your mixture to insure that all their bikes meet the toughest pollution standards, as well as insure that you don't burn up pistons from running too lean, it's a tough balance but they manage it pretty well . Living in Illinois which has some of the most dickish smog laws, I've even heard that there was some noise about testing bikes like they do with cars ( oh, yes that has been soooooo suck-sessful) but being that this is also one of the most politically corrupt states ( our third governor in a row is about to be indicted!!) we, meaning the state, ran out of money and now only tests new cars, by plugging into the ALDL to check for any codes!!!! They don't even bother to stick a gas probe in the tailpipe anymore! I'm just guessing here but if they really wanted to do something about pollution in this country, they might start by testing those big Semi trucks, you know the giant black smoke belching diesel's:eek: So now that I've had my rant, dont' sweat the small stuff, and by the way, when you switch to that aftermarket module, you will notice a nice gain in gas milage. If your bike is a gen one, well then I suggest you get someone to test it, and if needed adjust the carbs, god ,I do so love the new Gen I in my garage, almost any problem can be eliminated by the mere throwing of handfulls of cash at the thing!:D;):)

Back